What's new
What's new

Reversing motor direction

timo

Plastic
I recently purchased a belt sander as an addition to my shop. It's a Kalamazoo Ind. with Baldor motor. When it came the belt was moving up instead of downward toward the table. I'd like to reverse the direction of the belt. The sticker on the motor says to interchange the 5 and 8 leads to reverse direction. I don't have much electrical knowledge so I'm not sure what to do. Here are some pictures of the unit. I'd appreciate anyone's advice. Thanks.

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 279
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 463
  • motor3.jpg
    motor3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 449
  • motor4.jpg
    motor4.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 244
Take off the end cover on the motor, that is where you'll find the 5 and 8 terminals

The round thing in your pictures is the starting capacitor which is not related to reversing the motor.

Bill

...I don't have much electrical knowledge so I'm not sure what to do....

This statement indicates you should probably seek help from an electrician or knowledgeable technician.

Can you get support on this where you bought it? I wouldn't expect a purchased machine to spin backwards.

If you really want to do this yourself, first unplug it. Close up the cap area and open the little plate on the end of the motor - you'll probably find 8 wires, wire nutted together in some fashion. Remove 5 and 8 from each of their connections and reconnect them to their opposite group. If it helps, redraw the diagram with the labels swapped. Make sure the wire nuts are twisting the wires together and that the nuts cover the bare sections of the wire. Close it all up. Test.

Yes, I was going to seek out the help of an electrician eventually, but I was hoping it would be something simple enough that it could be explained through the forum, and your advice was adequate and the reversal was successful. It took me about 10 minutes, so thanks for the help. It all made sense once I opened it up in the right place.

I also thought it was odd that it was purchased new going the wrong direction. I got it through Enco. I decided to pay the extra money to get an American machine so it wouldn't give me any trouble.:)

Thanks again.

Yeah, Bill, what a hoot! He'll make a fine mother-in-law some day! ;)

(We should have told him it was a machine that was meant to be sold in the southern hemisphere, or that it had to be run off an "inverter")

Back