What's new
What's new

Sticking fiberglass to wood question

GregSY

Diamond
I want to adhere some fiberglass to wood on part of the eaves of my shop; I want to 'waterproof' along two seams in the wood.

Is it better to stick the resin to bare wood, or wood that has been primed with Kilz?

no killz paint etc....

you "prime" the BARE wood with thinner. I will make the wood absorb some resin and bond with unbelievable strength.

At least this is what you do for marine wood to glass work.

I dont recall if it's a special thinner, acetone, or what. I think plain mineral spirits.

Use epoxy resin over plain dry wood. The idea is to let as much epoxy resin sink in as will go in. This is what makes the wood waterproof. This is the foundation of an entire large business and boatbuilding method called WEST System. 'WEST' is not a guy's last name like 'Jim West' but an acronym for Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique. WEST (Gougeon Brothers) have a huge web presence. Many people on numerous boatbuilding forums can fill you in on all the details.

Jimbo

Thanks guys. Imagine (2) 2x6 boards butted against one another with a tight uniform gap of maybe 1/32" or less.

I want to prevent water from entering as well as generally waterproofing the boards.

Should I just try to saturate the wood, or lay glass mat over it as well?

I would also look into CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) by Smith and Company. It truly is like water when mixed, and will soak into the grain. It was orginally formulated to soak into dry rot and seal it. I have not used it for that- but have as a primer and it does work.

Witha bit of luck there is a link below.

http://www.smithandcompany.org/

Something you should know about epoxy resin is that it is UV sensitive and breaks down into dust when left in the sun. I built a small boat using system three epoxy resin and it has to be painted to keep UV light out just like all other epoxy resins. I would suggest just using some cheap bondo poly resin made for cars. For what your doing where strength is no concern it will absorb into the wood fine and waterproof it without the need to paint. Furthermore I wouldn't worry about adding some glass just saturate the wood let dry and repeat. No sence in paying almost $100 for a gallon when you can pick up some poly resin at walmart.

question is how to make it not stick!
I worked with this stuff 30 years ago and now advoid it due to toxic issues. The cheap polyester thinned with MEK will penetrate your wood nicely, and I think it holds up to sunlight better than epoxy, adding a pigment will increast that resistance [pigment, not a dye] or any filler at all, even powered chalk etc

A word of caution, the West system relies on totaly encapsulating the wood in epoxy. If you drill a hole in it, you have to re-plug it with epoxy to keep the water seal. Only applying epoxy/glass fibre to one surface will allow the moisture content to change via the other surfaces, hence the wood will change shape and work the harder coating off. For cheapo glass fibre sheathing of things like wooden row boats, the first layer of matting is stapled on, so it and the wood have a certain degree of independent flexibility.
frank

Thanks again. I think I am going to use a layer of glass resin or two followed by some matting, then sand it smooth and paint it just like I would an auto.

Polyester resin does not really chemically bond to wood, unlike epoxy. It will soak in and saturate, it will also pop off and de-laminate.

West system works as well as you prep for it, and paint over it for UV resistance. As others have stated, if water gets behind it, the wood will swell and can pop the fiber glass along the seam. I have seen that happen. (remember, they used to used wetted wood to split stone, in quarries) It is far less likely that the epoxy will actually delaminate. But polyester will. Ask anyone who built a strip canoe and cheaped out by using polyester, after a season or 2....

smt

I have a steel sailboat and about 25 years ago I decided to add an inboard engine. This engine came with mounting parts intended for use on a fiberglass or wood hull and I knew full well that it would not work on steel. The answer was to bolt a layer of wood to the hull, well bedded in marine sealer where the polyester-glass was intended to stick the engine down. I launched this boat again this spring and still no leaks nor any sign of a problem. Based on this I see no problem with sticking polyester resin to wood.

KEN

I must be missing something -- why not use a good quality caulking compound? That's what traditionally would be used for such an application. The flexibility will absorb some of the wood's dimensional changes due to humidity and temperature variations.

George, what was there before was just caulked, and over 6 years it basically came apart and looked like hell. Caulking is fine as long as it stays stuck but in most cases around here it only stays stuck if you smear some on a surface that is covered in loose dirt and oil.

This surface is (was) horizontal so the water would just sit there - I went back with a 5 degree angle to help get some runoff.

glue epoxy is the perfect material to make permanent repairs of roof, rotting window sills, door jambs and exterior molding that are difficult to remove and expensive to replace. glue epoxy is easy to handle too.

Back