What's new
What's new

Sulfer Free Oil?

Ox

Diamond
I see posts wanting parts - mainly SS I think ... made w/ sulfer free cutting oil.

Can someone enlighten me on the reason for this?

Does it even matter to the part once it has been through the worsh?

Forget the fact of course that the higher sulfer will likely give this part a better surface finish...

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox,
In the past, I had done a lot of work for an Electronics Co. They insisted on Sulfer Free oils on some parts. I was told that in the LARGE vacuum tubes they made, the sulfer would come out of the matl. and cause big proublems in the tubes. I was told that washing/cleaning would not help. They required a letter of conformance to be with each order I shiped.

Herb

Sulfur ,Hydrogen, and Hydrocarbons penetrate the Iron Atom Matrix, and in some conditions, they come back out.
I know the using a Clorinated Hydrocarbon fluid is a real No-No for parts that need Electroless Nickle plating.
Rich
We normally don't think of metals like steel as being porous, but they are !

OK - but two things:

1) Aint this where pasivation comes in? If you REALLY want your part free of contaminates - generally we passivate. Won't that have any effect on the sulfer or other no-no fluids that lurk right near the surface?

2) I HAVE actually made some 303 parts that got plated with some sorta wear resistant coating - but really - how often does SS get plated?

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Not necessarily. Iron and most metal atoms arrange themselves into a lattice sort of like a 3D chain link fence. Some other atoms will pack into this lattice like tennis balls into a chain link fence. Passivation won’t necessarily force the tennis balls back out.

Back