What's new
What's new

Takisawa TSL-800D Lathe Parts & Manual

Mechanic

Plastic
We just received a reappropriated Takisawa TSL-800D lathe (vintage 1976). The oil reservoir in the saddle/carriage leaks through the handwheel shafts and the x automatic feed slips when you hold the handwheel. The rest of the machine seems to be in good order. I would like to rebuild the saddle/carriage and I wondering where I can get parts and a part manual?

I've seen the posting where a couple of the same machines were beautifully restored.
Mechanic

Parts are still available through Takisawa (U.S. distributor) from Taiwan, as they still market manual lathes in Asia, but not here in the States. I will have to find the link and will update this as an edit. Brace yourself, as parts will be expensive, but not as bad as some members have found on older machines made in Cincinatti.

If the carriage handwheel is leaking lubricant, chances are the lubrication to the bushing has gotten plugged and allowed excess play to develop. That happened on mine, but it can be fixed, by turning down the shaft and putting a resized bushing in the apron. As I recall the o-ring is located between the bushing and the handwheel?

As to the x travel slipping, not to sure what is wrong. I thought this was all geared, but there may be a clutch in the feed selector area. Both the travel rod and the thread feed rod are pinned on the left end and you might check to see if a pin has sheared, or is missing. I doubt any slippage is occurring in the apron, from what I recall when mine was apart.

It is pretty common to find coolant in the apron and the one shot oiler may or may not be working properly.

edit - Takisawa US is located in Illinois. The contact person is Brian and phone # is 847-419-0046

Could just be the clutch adjustment needs tweaking. Too loose and the gears won't fully engage possibly giving symptoms you describe. Too tight and the gears will grind when you move the handwheels.

Like Dave said, you're likely to find some of the the carriage oil passages plugged, and various other debris in the sump when you open it up. There is an o-ring on the handwhell shaft somewhere. I think I just reused mine when I had it apart, but you should be able to find something close if it needs replacing.

Where in Ca are you located?

Regards

To all,
Thank you very much for all your excellent information. The website is what I was looking for and more! I appreciate the parts connection as well. I'll be disassembling the apron and fixing all the problems with it. It's nice to know so much knowledgable help is out there.

We're located in Paso Robles, CA

Thanks again to all,
Mechanic

Mechanic - I have thought about my comment on your problem and looked at diagram 7 on the Takisawa parts assembly views. Of course there is a clutch in the apron, as it would be hard to engage feeds without one (duh). Not sure why you only notice the problem on carriage feed, but maybe because of the increased leverage with the larger handwheel.

The adjustment can be made from outside the apron IIRC and requires removing a few parts of the feed engagement assembly to get at two nuts. I am going to take a look at my lathe and will correct this if I am off base again.

If you're going to be disassembling the apron, here's a couple tips I learned from mine:

Don't bother trying to remove the oil pump plunger knob. It won't come off even after you drift out the pin. It's not necessary anyway, the pump needs to stay with the back half of the apron and the knob will fit thru the hole in the front plate as you remove it.

There is about 1/8" of that blue green bondo on the sides of the apron under the paint to even out the castings. Dropping the apron and splitting the cover will obviously ruin the appearance. Be ready to sand and repaint if you care about such things, though I keep forgetting most people aren't as obsessive-compulsive about machinery paint as me! :D

Regards
Derek

DryCreek,
Thank you for your continued interest & support. I'll keep the adjustment tip in mind. However I will be disassembling the apron to fix the oil leaks. They're bad enough the operator gets oil on top of their shoes!

Tak,
Thank you for the tip on the plunger knob. I'll leave it alone. We arn't to fussy about appearance; this machine will be on light duty but will still have to work for a living. Good working order and no leaks is our goal.

Thanks again,
Mechanic

So I need to dredge up this old thread. I just picked up a max-turn 1000, a takisawa machine and I would love the manual and parts list for it. Ive noticed the links are dead so I am hoping someone else has a connection.

There are a couple different versions of the TSL800, too, depending on the importer.

Mine, for instance, was imported by Yuasa, has a camlock spindle, change gears and threading charts different from most TSL lathes.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in with what you need. If you have the A2-5 spindle nose I have it and am happy to send it, but it's on an old, dead computer and someone more expert than I will have to retrieve it. It may take a while. If you're interested, send me a PM, as I'm not receiving thread subscription notifications.

And, I'm looking for a manual for mine, if anyone has it....

Neil

Back