What's new
What's new

Taps for Presta & Schraeder?

matt_isserstedt

Diamond
Sorry, maybe should have asked this on a bicycle forum.

So, here goes: Anybody know of a source for taps for Presta and/or Schraeder threads, i.e. the thread tapped would fit the threaded stem of the innertube?

I looked up and wrote down the thread designations awhile back, don't have them handy right now, the Presta is an oddball at best.

-Matt

If you're just looking to repair threads, not cut new ones, most automotive stores sell a four-way tool that removes the core, will chase the internal and external threads on the valve, and the core.

Forward 2+ years........

Matt did you find anything? I'm looking for the female thread size on a presta adapter.

I've posted on a Bike forum with no luck so far.

Looks like it's close to M5x1???

Matt,

Schrader valve stems (passenger car type) are .305 - 32 tpi on the OD. Valve caps to fit are .307-32 tpi. This is per TRA specifications.

See also, Schrader/Bridgeport valve caps.

Standard passenger tire valve cores are threaded .206-36 on their male thread OD. And the female tapped thread for valve cores are .210-36. Also per TRA specifications.

See also Shrader/Bridgeport valve cores. I have the Tire & Rim Association specification book at work if you need any further details.

Valve_Core_Typical1.jpg

Valve core installation guide w/ cavity details.

More Shrader/Bridgeport products and information.

Mark

It is an odd thing that back in the 19th century Presta was developed in the USA and Schrader in Europe, I wonder how they switched continents?

I need to borrow / rent a schrader valve tap setup. this is for a one time job in a piece of delrin. Or if someone has the equipment I could send my part to them for taping.

Bill in Cincy

I was drawn here while looking for the correct tap for a Presta Valve Thread. I came up with a simple solution. This thread was so long ago it may have been covered, and I would look silly posting the solution. If it wasn't, please let me know! Thanks.

I was drawn here while looking for the correct tap for a Presta Valve Thread. I came up with a simple solution. This thread was so long ago it may have been covered, and I would look silly posting the solution. If it wasn't, please let me know! Thanks.

I would like to know Wyatt in Chico. The presta valve core thread is non-standard and I need a tap.

Back