What's new
What's new

Thread Info

frbush

Aluminum
I have a small indexer that is similar to a Kalamazoo A-1 or Yuasa 550-009. My problem is that I can't find cap screws to mount a 4" chuck. I have tried every SAE size that I know of. That leaves the metric sizes. I went to the largest metric supplier in Dallas and they couldn't fit it. The threads appear to be larger than a 4mm but smaller than a 5mm. The pitch looks coarser than the normal .7 pitch. I have been told that there is a 4.5mm x .75. Anyone have any suggestions?
Desperate in Dallas

Yep, 4.5mm x .75 is a valid metric, BUT... not very popular. I checked McMaster-Carr and they don't carry it. If MC doesn't carry it, I don't know who would. They are normally my savior for the unique and hard to find stuff.
I'd go with Pazuzu's sugestion. You could drill and tap to 10-24 or 10-32. That's only .010 over your 4.5mm.

Ken

Yes I immediately thought about drilling and retapping to a standard size but this baby has been hardened almost as hard as my head.
Maybe we have some friends from Europe that can give a good supplier.

Dudes, I live in Europe, and work with nothing but Metric. There are normal metric things, and odd metric things. M4.5 x .75 is so out-of-this-world oddball that I can tell you right now, that trying to find it in the civilized world is an exercise in futility.

I have, on the other hand encountered a screw of similar description, which I immediately regarded as being an oddball american one. I do know a guy who would have the proper definition of it, though. I'll ask later.

Frbush,
I have looked at my chart and 4.5 by .75 is listed as metric course, tapping drill 3.8 mm. Shall contact a supplier tomorrow to see if a die is available & at what cost, but feel its rare as Dr Rob mentioned. It also seems small to be holding a chuck on.

Solved the problem. Still don't know what the actual thread is but I found that I could chuck up a 10-24 and shave about .015 off the crest and it fits just perfect. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Gone to look for a new problem.

This might be of some help for the next time : get yourself a couple of sets of `thread gages`

Dunno about their english name ; they are made of small steel plates with a standard thread profile (Metric , or UN , or Whitworth or ....).
It looks like a `thickness feeler gage` , a set of these small plates which are packed together , with their pitch marked on them.
This of course gives you a `threadform` with the correct depth , shape and pitch wich you can fit on a bolt to see which one fits `perfectly`.

Lambert

Frbush,
Just for your info as you have already solved the problem, supplier here in Aust says split die 4.5 by .75 mm available off the shelf at equiv of US$38 (A$57)

Back