What's new
What's new

Tig welder for the home shop

rapidtransit

Plastic
Just wondering does anyone have/use the small tig machines,like a econotig or the square wave 175 welding machines.If so how do you like them? How well do they perform? Thanks Tom

I know several people with the Sqaurewave 175 - they're excellent machines. Another good machine is Miller's Syncrowave 180SD. In my opinion, the econotig doesn't have enough low end for some TIG applications.

I use a larger machine myself, but the Sq 175 or Sync 180 will do most any job you want. Do you have any specific requirements?

Thanks Joe, requirements,basicaly will be used for 18ga to 3/16 steel and aluminum.When your talking about low end,is that for light guage amperage control? How about the electrical requirements for the square wave 175? Do I need a dedicated circuit?And how fast will this machine turn that little disk at the back of my house?Thanks again Tom

The low end is somewhat for light guage stuff but another consideration is that when you strike your arc it's nice to get your bearings straight before you start melting metal. The squarewave 175 will run fine on a 230V 50A 1Ph circuit (dedicated).

Another option is going with an inverter power supply, which is much more efficient (and expensive). Lincoln's Invertec V205T can run on a 115V circuit up through the middle of it's operating range, but still requires a 230V 30A at the top end (200A). The downside is that it probably costs $1000 more that the Sq 175. So it depends on what's more important to you and if you want to pay now or over time.

fredybear - Lincoln and Miller both make good machines. I'd look at filling your requirements & price more than I would at whether it was red or blue.

Been using a Squarewave TIG 175 in my home shop for about 3 years now and love it. Haven't welded anything thicker than 3/16 inch steel or 3/16 inch aluminum. By the way, I have tried using some of the new (to me) lanthanated electrodes and so far they seem to work well.

I've had a square wave 175 for about a year to supplement 2 larger machines and am very impressed with it. Ask a Lincoln distributor to show you their feature to feature comparison chart against the Miller machine before you make a decision. The miller does not seem to do so well at the low end of it's output.

I already have a lincoln 135 mig and i like it

i coulda had the green nascar one but ewww

i like the pretty red color myself
biggrin.gif

now its time for a tig...

1st go down to your local welding supply house, your going to need an account for the Argon gas anyway. Talk to the guy at the Parts/Service counter, a good relationship is a godsend when your stuck and he has the straight answer.
Explain what you are looking to do, and ask about welders that have been traded in that are for sale, I picked up a 4 year old Miller Tig-wave, water cooler complete with the right torch head, stick cables and adjustable foot pedal, for $ 2200. Best part it came with a 3-month warranty. With the left over greenbacks, I bought a full-face auto darkening helmet (A must for tig welding) and a nice assortment of filler rods from stainless, to aluminum.
I had trouble getting the hang on aluminum, went to see him, and he sent me to a guy that in 1 hour had me going on the same type of machine, no charge except the pizza I bought the guy for lunch.
The machine itself is the cheapest part by the time you get all of the goodies, when going new.

If the first supply house does not give you the time of day, MOVE ON, I guarantee you will find the right guys to deal with. This will make all the difference in the world.

Thanks
The-Expat

The-Expat is giving you very good advice. Pick your welding supplier the same way you would pick your auto mechanic or your doctor. A bad one will infuriate you!

Gents,

Yeah, this sounds about right to me too. We've got a local welding outfit with a 60-something counter general who seems to know EVERYTHING. I mean this in the right way too, it is a real pleasure to deal with someone as knowledgeable and professionally minded as this guy. His advice might easily come with a price tag attached as 'consulting fee'. And you'd pay it too, knowing he just saved yer a** from an expensive dead-end mistake.

Good luck all finding the same where you live.

I just bought a used Lincoln S/W 175 and I love it. I have welded for over 43 years and taught welding at Jr Col level many years ago. I had several stick machines and a Lincoln MIG, but had been needing a TIG. Had looked at ESAB, Miller, and Lincoln and was leaning toward a ESAB. Guy in town north of me advertised a like new 175. When I contacted him, he said he bought it to build a homebrew airplane and then lost his pilots license. It had lots of accessories and he had an Argon Cy from my local welding supplier. At half price and abourt 2 hours of use, I could not turn it down. It is really a producer on Al and I am using it as a DC stick source for my shop and do not have to bring the engine driven machine to the shop door or move the big motor generator machine from the barn. I also bought a grizzly small band saw with several new blades cheap from his aircraft project. Did not need the saw but could not turn it down. He has the airplane for sale now--mostly parts.

rapidtransit: i've got a porta tig power source for sale on ebay, perhaps you'd like to check it out. it might be something at a decent price that would fit your requirements. i'm more of a machinist than welder, so the welding language is all greek to me. sorry, i don't know how to post links. you can do a search under seller's name: biittner.

I bought a Miller 330ab/p about 12 years ago. Made friends with the neighbor across the street when I came home from work and he was digging up his front yard to replace a waterline.Jumped in and helped.
That welder with new foot pedal, watercooled tig torch, and a 10 year supply of argon cost me a Saturday digging and $237.
Had to drive down to Gainesville to pick it up where the University of Florida traded it in. Some Friendships are golden. Couldn't ask for a better neighbor. Moved to a place with a bigger garage, sure hated leaving that neighborhood.

I have an Econotig and it is a good machine within its limitations. The minimum current is about 25 amps which is too much for some small things. And the duty cycle is only 20 or 25% at full power. I would recommend getting the 180 unit over the Econotig for the slight difference in price.

Back