What's new
What's new

Tool post for 12" Craftsman lathe

alrednek

Aluminum
Can anyone give me an idea on which quick change toolpost I would need to correctly fit a late model Craftsman 12 inch lathe? I've been looking on eBay and find several different sizes listed.

This one is listed for up to 12 inch swing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45019&item=3836823423&rd=1

This one is for 10 to 15 inch swing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12581&item=3837043303&rd=1

Since these sellers don't accept returns in most cases I don't want to buy one unless I *know* it's going to fit without a bunch of modifications. Hopefully, someone on the forum has been through this before with one of these lathes and knows which size will work.

Thanks, Mike

I have an AXA size post. Works great for me. I bought a piston style first, then later changed to the wedge type. Truthfully, on a relatively light duty machine like the 12" Atlas/Craftsman, I really can't tell too much of a difference between the two. You will, of course, have to machine the T-nut to fit your compound slot, no matter which one you get.
Greg B.

FWIW, I used to have a Craftsman 12x36 and used a Phase II AXA on it. Seemed to work fine and I suspect that the BXA would be a liitle too large for the Craftsman. Then too, the Craftsman doesn't really have enough rigidity to justify a beefier tool post. Just MHO.

Mike

Having started with an Atlas 10" (AXA) and then moved up to a Clausing 5900 (BXA) I'd say you are just fine with the AXA.

I echo what Mike Henry is saying, you won't be able to challenge or use the extra rigidity of the BXA post with an Atlas/Craftsman 10 or 12" lathe.

Now, a second thought.....if someday you are planning to upgrade your lathe, then you might already have the right toolpost (BXA) if you planned ahead for such expansions. The downside of course assuming this path in life is when you sell off your Craftsman the price will go lower due to limited tooling.

-Matt

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I thought the AXA designation was a type of toolpost, I didn't realize that it was a size designation...duh! Is the wedge type QC toolpost considered to be better than a piston type? Would it be necessary on my light-duty Craftsman machine or would either type be sufficient? I do realize that the Craftsman lathe is light-duty and won't handle heavy work, but it works fine for my needs right now. The lantern type tool post that came with it is a joke. It flexes terribly and is a pain to use. I want the extra rigidity and interchangeability of a QC tool post. I am considering this Phase II unit from ENCO:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-2253&PMPXNO=953080&PARTPG=INLMK32

They have a free shipping deal going on now so their $89.99 price would be about the best deal I've found so far. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

While I personally think the wedge type is apt to be more repeatable, I also think that if you just use a little care when swapping holders on a piston type you should have no problem.
As I said, I used a piston type on my Craftsman lathe for years with excellent results. I now have a wedge type post on my lathe and I really can't discerne any appreciable difference between the two types.
Also, as to the Craftsman not being able to handle heavy work, within reason, it'll handle anything that will fit in the working envelope of the machine. I've turned discs and drums on mine, cut 1 1/2-8 threads for back and face plates, parted off 1" wall stainless tubing and so on and so forth. It takes a little longer than running it on the Mori Seiki after work, but it will get the job done.
Greg B.

I also think that the Atlas/Craftsman design does quite well for work that fits in it's "envelope".

You just can't take deep hogging cuts that make metal fly off the workpiece.

My personal dislike was lack of a real powerfeed. I couldn't stomach using the leadscrew and half-nuts over and over and wearing them out when the precision was needed to cut threads.

My .02 on the toolpost I would go for wedgie.

-Matt

Back