What's new
What's new

Tree milling machine models

Andrew T

Aluminum
What is the difference between Tree models, 2UV/2UVR/2UVRC/2VGC ? Also , are Tree's vari speed
heads durable/difficult to repair ?

Somebody will probably answer this more completely,but the vari heads are not hard to fix and for me are very durable. Basically a pair of variable pulleys with a belt. The bearings were all standard, but the belt itself may be alittle special. The quill spindle to gearbox arrangement is alittle unusual and tricky to adjust correctly. E-mail if you need more info. Daryl

2UV = Step Pully Head/Power Feed & Rapid in X.
2UVR = Vari Speed Head/Power Feed & Rapid in X.
2UVRC =Heavy Duty/Vari Speed Head/Power Feed &
Rapid in X & Y with optional power rapid
in Knee.
2VGC = Pedestal and table arrangment same as
2UVRC but with a heavy super duty head.
The vari speed belt is a common off the shelf item as is the cogged timing belt in the gearbox. The small cogged belt in the gearbox that drives the quill down feed shaft is proprietary and I have never been able to find a cross for it. But it rarely goes bad, so not a problem. As stated above, the Tree machines are easy to work on and were one of the best verticles made in it's day. The only major problem I have run into on the UV, UVR, & UVRC is head and drive motor replacements. The old FM motors are impossible to find and cost a bundle to rewind. The later Reuland motors are just about as hard to find used, but Reuland is still in business and will sell you a new one for two arms and a leg. In my opinion the 2UVRC is the best buy if you can find one in good condition. As you can probably tell I am a devoted Tree junkie and have spent a lot of time overhauling and rebuilding these fine old machines.

Daryl and Tony, thanks for the replys.

Tony, the step pulley is a 1hp that takes Z collets, right? Are the vari speed all 1.5 hp with the same collet? What about the super duty head? How much heavier is the stouter frame?

I normally don't fool around with the 2UV's. They are very old and most Iv'e come across are pretty well shot. I do have a UV head assembly in my storage building and it has a 1 1/2 HP motor on it. Yes they all use the Z collet. On the heavy duty machines the turret,ram,and Knee assembly are quite a bit heavier also larger tables were optional on the heavy duty machines so you run into those sometimes.

I have a 2UVR that I think is a exellent machine but my quill power downfeed doesnt work! The external belt is gone and neither pulley turns, I assumed there was a stripped worm gear inside or something! You say there is a internal cog belt that drives this ? Is it possible to aquire/learn more info about repairing this, I really like this machine, its strong and tight with this one problem that I would like to fix!

Inside the gearbox the is a small cogged belt that drives the ouput shaft from the gearbox for the quill down feed. To get to it you have to pull the head motor,varidrive assembly and spindle brake assembly. You can then pull the top cover off the gearbox. Now the fun begins. You will have to just about completly disassemble the gear box to get to it. If all else is working fine and you can live without the downfeed I suggest you leave it alone. If you feel the need to fix it I suggest you you go ahead and do a complete gearbox overhaul while you have it apart. All new bearings and belts.

Hi! 14Tony and ZGOO thanks for the information. I guess I'll eventually get around to repairing it, in the meantime I'll start accumullating the parts I'll need to fix it! I can live without the downfeed, I just thought there might be a quick fix, but I guess not! The TREE is a really nice machine and I wouldn't hesitate buying another if the need came up, I'm supprised there not that popular, I also like the collets but there hard to find!

Another Tree mill owner just set up a forum for Tree info at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=308

These are good machines but parts are a little less easy to find. I certainly can recommend 3S in Oak Creek WI - info can be found at the link above. These are ex-Tree guys who bought out the machine shop and special machines, parts and equipment in 2001 and currently supply part, spindle rebuilds, and other services.

Bob

Hi,
Please, help me if anybody know how to operate quill feed and depth stop on a quill on 2VGC mill.
When I engage a front lever and directional (up/down) lever - manual feed hand wheel rotate, but quill doesn't move.
Is it somehow related to quill stop?
I can't wind how to activate quill stop.
Please help me if you can. Does anybody have a Manual for 2VGC, or know the link to this manual?
Thank you
Vladimir

Does anyone have info on the tracer mill?
Head looks like 2UV but the ram doesn't pivot on the base but slides side to side for positioning.
Kinda cool not messin with head angles when you run out of table travel...lol
I'll try and get some pics and a model number in a few days. It's at my friend's shop.
Thanx,

Dan

I have a 2uvr that I recently bought because it was in such good condition. I sold my BP after running the tree it is twice the machine. I have to use BPs at work and they are not nearly as rigid or as quite. I have run four trees besides mine and they all feel stiff unlike the BPs that I have run I think it has to do with the larger surface area on the saddle.

Engineer Mike The Tree mill uses the Z collet which pops up on E-bay from time to time. Sage is a seller there, no affiliation of course. Make sure the size you bid is the size you get! Pretty close is for horse-shoes and hand grenades and dealers try to unload odd sizes that you'll never use! There's others I can't recall but search the bay and they show up! Good machine, good luck!

Steve

Mike, dont buy that machine

That guy "attends" auctions by simply bidding online. He does not inspect AT ALL. Despite what he says.

Everything in that plant was beat to death. That machine took weird tooling, think it was a moore taper! Expensive and rare.

He is also selling as is were is.

Lazy. Doesnt inspect them. No description. Doesnt move them. Etc.

The hardinge he is selling uses the B+S collet. It makes a questionable machine absolulty worthless.

Another Tree 2UV owner here. Purchased the mill in Cleveland Ohio. It is complete and under power now and I'm working on sorting out a couple issues. The quill pinion shaft was damaged with 2 splined broke off somehow (crash or manhandled?). I have a replacement shaft for the mill. The other issue is the micrometer endstop bottom tab was broke off, I assume from someone over tightening it. I have taken the mill to a machine shop to have the tab brazed on and the bores cleaned up. I had a heck of a time finding a collet closer also. The seller didnt know how it worked and didn't get the closer when he urchased the mill. I'd like to find a quill housing casting to replace mine with if anyone has contacts with parts.

cc3b5855b0c1192b8b2f8fb9f07d3f8a.jpg
6147df315c6fbbff472cd53a64ee4000.jpg

Zombie Thread, but it's the proper thread for my query.

What model (and age) is this Tree mill?

It has an outboarded (electric) motor. Photo to follow.

TreeMill01.jpgTreeMill02.jpg

Back