Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never put your finger anywhere you wouldn’t put your face.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When flycutting or milling thin areas on a job and it is vibrating or chattering. Use plasticine to fill the gap underneath, just like you would a jackscrew. Works wonders in stopping humming or chattering and it doesn't rattle loose like a jackscrew and doesn't push the material up making you take more stock off.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anyone have a source for an old ID gear that would work for this? Tip#169
    Thanks
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For a really decent centre punch,that will stay good,let a broken 1/4"endmill into the end of some 3/8" m.s and hard solder in place. Grind to yr preferred angle. A piece of broken hss tap etc will do as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another holesaw trick for mill or drill press: clamp or hold a small brass bristle brush to the table or workpiece so that the bristles are just touching the teeth of the holesaw. Drip cutting fluid of choice onto the brush. The brush will keep the teeth cleared of swarf and well lubricated. I use this method in addition to the small hole drilled inside the cut line on waste piece ( as described by a previous poster). Only works if depth of hole is less than depth of gullets in saw, so most useful for sheet stock and thin plate.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys, I’m new here. I’m a 19 year old machinist trying to make my way up the ladder. I’m currently a programmer/setup/operator on a prototrak 1845 sx lathe. Single toolpost. I used to have a turret, but I enjoy the single toolpost due to infinite amounts of set tools. I try to cut down my times by taking aggressive cuts, I turn mostly stainless steel. My feeds and speeds are dialed right now, but I’d still like to be able to push my tools harder, especially my drills, I run the risk of turning my toolpost if I take more than .032 DOC while turning, and a .004 feed per rev on drills, can anyone give me some tips on keeping my toolpost straight? I’ve recently incorporated carbide drills, so keeping the axis of my tool, concentric with the axis of the lathe is crucial! Thanks guys! Hope to learn a lot from the best!