What's new
What's new

Vise squad -- pics -- let's see yours

John in MA

Titanium
Just finished up one of those minor back-burner "round tuit" projects. For years I've had a mammoth (~140 pounds but limited capacity) derelict vise knocking around after I saved it from a scrap pile. Previous thread including photos and wonderful discussion in detail:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/11314.html#000007

Well, I finally realized it wasn't doing anything for me just sitting in a cabinet. Sanded off all the rust and loose paint, gave it a quick 'n' dirty coat of paint, cleaned it up. Didn't go the Pebble Beach route since I wail on non-precision vises. Ended up reinforcing my benchtop using some meatball carpentry. The vise is supported by a PT'd long-leaf pine 4x4 going right down to the concrete.

vise5.jpg

Sure, it's a bit overkill for a home shop, and too high mounted on a normal bench, but I need a BFV and this'll do the trick. I can't think of any way I'd humanly be able to damage it. The sliding handle is about 16" long and almost 1" dia.

So, I've seen some members post photos of beautiful or interesting vises in the past. Never a pics thread, though. Let's see 'em.

I was looking for a vise, everyone I looked at my wife said no you need a bigger one like her dad had. Finally found one about the size of yours, she said thats what you need, but is was broke. Finnaly bought a 6 in craftsman (which she said was still to small). Went back to PA, annioux (sp?) to see this big vise.... its a very light little 4 " vise.

Sorry for the incorrect form of the above post. I tried to put in a clickable link to a vise photo. If anyone can advise what I've done wrong, I would be grateful. The photo is on the web at the site indicated, and will come up if the URL in my post immediately above (without the leading & trailing tags) is typed into, say, Firefox.

The original hardened serrated jaws on my six inch Wilton were a bit tough on the things I clamped, so I made a new set of smooth jaws from some 1" CRS, with a small vertical V-groove in one and a horizontal V-groove in the other. The jaws are a half inch taller and an inch wider than the original, so now I have a seven inch vise:

wiltonjaws01.jpg

JKILROY: I'd be much obliged if you would tell me how you got my link, a couple of posts above, to display. Was it a matter of getting rid of the 2 spaces in the filename, as someone else just suggested to me? What should I have done to post a clickable link? Thanks for your help.

No spaces allowed, file name or elsewhere.

This is my 4 1/2" Record vise made in England. It's my favorite because the jaws open so wide. I only use it to hold small work for tapping and similar. For long work and rough use I have a larger vise in my garage shop.

vise2.jpg

When it comes to vises(vices???), John wins!

Where would something like that be used? It is so robust, but the jaws don't seem to be that big. To me, it looks like something you'd see in a railroad shop.

Nice photos, guys. That safe of Donie's looks like a solid mounting!

Where would something like that be used? It is so robust, but the jaws don't seem to be that big. To me, it looks like something you'd see in a railroad shop.
It has 5" jaws, but the throat is pretty small for the size. The Cliff Notes version of the discussion in the link I posted is that Grinnell probably made it for in-house or on-site fabrication work. Built strong for heavy use. I wouldn't be able to pick up the hammer needed to break it.

Found out the faces that the jaws mate with aren't parallel. Looks like I have some hand fitting in my future.

Hi guys, my gast is flabbered! it is very handy to have the rear( fixed) jaw just a gnats c**k in front of the benchtop, so you can hold bits verticaly. Not much in evidence here?
Frank

I am with you Chuckey.....I have a hard time seeing any usefullness for a bench vise that cannot hold a 3' workpiece vertically. If not they're only getting half the use of a vise. There was a thread a few months back about vise mounting and I brought up that very thing.

Back