What's new

What to do about tramp oil?

• Thread starter Steve Schliebe
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 3,030
S

Steve Schliebe

I tried one of the skimmers that have the 1" wide belt that hangs down in the coolant, but it didn't seem to be very effective. Does anyone have experience with those or other styles of skimmers that work good? Or any ideas how to manage the problem of oil building up in the coolant?

I have been using a small wet dry vacuum that I bought just for sucking the stuff off the surface. But that takes some coolant with it. I pour that stuff in to a barrel with a heating element and boil the water out leaving just oil, which I take to the recycler.

The disk kind work better. You do have to locate the skimmer so normal currents carry the slick to the skimmer.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 01-19-2004).]

Instead of boiling off the water, let it sit for a couple of days, then drain the coolant from the bottom of the barrel and return it to your sump

I tried one of the skimmers that have the 1" wide belt that hangs down in the coolant, but it didn't seem to be very effective. Does anyone have experience with those or other styles of skimmers that work good? Or any ideas how to manage the problem of oil building up in the coolant?

I have been using a small wet dry vacuum that I bought just for sucking the stuff off the surface. But that takes some coolant with it. I pour that stuff in to a barrel with a heating element and boil the water out leaving just oil, which I take to the recycler.

Hi Steve, in the 22 years I have been working with coolants I have found that many skimmers are challenged by ionic attraction of tramp oil to the belts. Especially over time, they seem to lose their effectiveness. Most skimmers are just that, and the pail overflows on the floor when they are full.

I am lining units work exceptionally well. There are three patents on the system, and they will never overflow on the floor. You won't have to waste coolant when using them. They can also be used for several machines instead of being dedicated to just one.

This is the link to the information. Real Coolant Solutions - Oil Skimmer, Metalworking Fluid, Coolant They can answer all your questions and even make specific recommendations. Hope this helps.

Hi Steve, in the 22 years I have been working with coolants I have found that many skimmers are challenged by ionic attraction of tramp oil to the belts. Especially over time, they seem to lose their effectiveness. Most skimmers are just that, and the pail overflows on the floor when they are full.

I am lining units work exceptionally well. There are three patents on the system, and they will never overflow on the floor. You won't have to waste coolant when using them. They can also be used for several machines instead of being dedicated to just one.

This is the link to the information. Real Coolant Solutions - Oil Skimmer, Metalworking Fluid, Coolant They can answer all your questions and even make specific recommendations. Hope this helps.
How about instead...we just mail all the tramp oil to YOU ?

Spammer dredging up old post....:ack2:

Back