What's new
What's new

What do you use 1-2-3 blocks for?

Michael Moore

Titanium
I can see using them as a known flat/ground surface of a specific width, but since they all seem to have tapped holes in them, what gets bolted to them (or what are they bolted too)?

I've not bought any yet because so far I haven't really been able to figure out what I'd end up using them to do.

cheers,
Michael

I use them for spacing parts off of pins on the CNC table. That way I can leave the pins in and not worry about crashing into them with the cutter. They are also handy for spacing parts up off the table, or blocking in on the surface grinder.
There are literally hundreds of uses for 1-2-3 blocks. Say you are setting up a part on an angle plate. You know that the part clamped to the plate is square vertically, but you need to get one of the adjacent sides vertical too. Now suppose there is a protrusion on the bottom of the part that doesn't let you butt a square against the part. With a 1-2-3 block, or two, depending on how big your square is(I have a 12" B&S master square), you can space the square up to clear the protrusion and check the side of the part. Get it?
Greg B.

123 Blocks and also 246 blocks are kinda like a lathe, their uses are only limited by your imagination and ingenuity.

I have used them on the surface plate for aligning parts square for lay out. I have used them for spacers on the milling table. I have used them to increase the range of my height gauge from 12” to 15” and the 246 blocks to 24”.

I have not had occasion to use the threaded holes or to even use through bolts but I am sure the need will arise.

123 blocks were one of the first accessories I purchased and that purchase was never regretted.

Paul A.

I thought they were to replace the first 3 fingers that you lost when learning to run a lathe, so you could go on and count to 10 without missing any numbers. Add a bolt to one of the holes when you get to 10 and keep going.11,12,13...
David from jax

'I have not had occasion to use the threaded holes or to even use through bolts but I am sure the need will arise. '

Funny, I was going to say that. I love my blocks and use them daily, but in 26 years have never bolted them together!

Think of them as large parallels. At least in my case, I use them the most on the mill, usually for setups directly on the mill table.

Hanz

with a piece of 3/8ths all-thread and a t-nut, you can screw the 1-2-3 blocks right down to the mill table for easy set-ups.
Also bolt 1 or more blocks together.

They're handy for quick measurements of a taper angle. Stick the tapered part
in whatever so it's held vertically. Put a block on each side of the part with
the one inch dimension vertical. Lay your (open) calipers on the blocks and
close them on the taper. Call this measurement d1 (inches).

Repeat with the two inch block dimension vertical. Call this measurement d2.

Now, the taper half angle is given by:

arctan [ 0.5 * (d2-d1) ]

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo

While on the subject, why do import 123 blocks cost about $9. and import 246 blocks about $85. Couldn't be more than a few $'s material and machining cost difference. :confused:

ralph p,
there is 8 times theamount of material to start with plus the machining heat treat and grinding so the cost of the 2x4x6 blocks is approx. the same per cu"....jim

One our first projects as apprentices in the machine shop was to make a set of 1-2-3 blocks. Usually we drilled holes in them to lighten them.

Too, we made and used 1/2 blocks (1/2"x 1"x 1 1/2"). Those were never drilled through.

Mostly we used them on the bench for set up off knees and line blocks on fixtures; much easier than using a heigth gage. When we switched to metric we had our 1-2-3 blocks reground to 25-50-100 mm.

As well, they can be used for layout.-Jerald Ware

I have only used the 1-2-3 blocks a few times, but I used the tapped holes to hold down some triangular shaped sheet metal parts for drilling..

I've also used them as "parrallels"..

brent

I use 123 blocks for all the above, but was too cheap to spring for a set of 246 blocks until yesterday. Airgas/Rutland has them on sale for $49.95, I don't think they have a webstore so you have to call them at 800-289-4787, the sale catalog part number is FX2156-1535.

Paul T.

I'm always impressed with the ingenuity of machinists who find new methods and new ways of using tools and equipment. It seems to go with the territory: people who are attracted to machine tools are inventive by nature.

I especially like MKLOTZ's suggestion for measuring tapers. It is WAY faster than the way I've been doing it (using a height gauge and dial indicator) !!

Jerald said,

"Mostly we used them on the bench for set up off knees and line blocks on fixtures; much easier than using a heigth gage. When we switched to metric we had our 1-2-3 blocks reground to 25-50-100 mm."

How the heck do you regrind a 1-2-3 block that measures 25.4-50.8-76.2mm to a 25-50-100mm block???????

Paul A.

dont forget for tramming the head in. Made 1 in my shop classes which I gradiated from in June. Everything to .0001 tolerance for // and dimension.

The thing I was them for the most is setting up tall thin walled bearing spacers in surface grinders. Trying to grind something like that with out blocking it up is just asking for a face full of wheel. Coupled up with some veed part details they work out great for that purpose. Also use as shims, angle plates, parallels and what ever comes to mind. Plus they make great paper weights!!!!! :D

Yesterday I found a use for the threaded holes in 1-2-3 blocks. A bolt threaded into the block makes a good temporary machinist's jack.

I don't have any machinist's jacks because I'd not see the use for those - until yesterday. :)

Glenn Minch

Back