What's new
What's new

Protecting a fine finish on AL

John Gargano

Aluminum
I have several large AL parts, both cylindrical and rectilinear, that I'd like to spray with a clear polyeurethane to keep them from getting scratched from handling and cleaning. I've given up on anodizing because it dulls the finish. I have seen some shops do this with an automotive product and it turns out really nice without a bit of orange peel, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions about products or procedures for doing this?

Thanx
JG

Just about any of the automotive clear coats will provide a very durable coating. Personally, I like Transtar clear because of it's high build and non-yellowing traits. Dupont is another good brand but almost twice the price. Unless you have the Hazmat gear for spraying the stuff, take it to a body shop.

For optically smooth aluminum parts as in specular mirrors, the optical surface is vacuum coated with silicon dioxide (quartz) which is very hard and durable. The coating process is a so called "line of sight" so it is more difficult to coat cylindrical surfaces but it is very possible. All depends on how "smooth" the surface is and how much it is worth. A coating of this type costs several hundred dollars. Clear anodize is a very nice coating and a good metal finisher can do it at a reasonable price. There are a range of platings and coatings for aluminum that give super corrosion resistance and abrasion resistance. All depends on what you want to spend.

Back