What's new
What's new

What tools to have?

Rob D

Aluminum
What tools should I expect the guys to have?

We "the shop" are moving to Indiana and have the chance to start "fresh". Currently we have supplied all tools needed to do the job. Everything!!!

I have found that working like this makes a serious wreck of a shop. Mic's laying around, 1/2 dozen broken indicators that "worked last time I used it", edge finder's with no tip ect.

What should I expect of these guys as far as tools? Expertise range from die maker to production worker.

0-1 mic. 6inch caliper. 1 ruler. 1 dial indicator with mag base. 1 edge finder.

Its just the basic tools that get used the most.

All the shops I've worked at expected you to have your own measuring and hand tools. The only tools a company permanently supplied to me were a set of end wrenches and allen wrenches when I worked as a maintenence machinist. We were given all cutting tools as required. There was also a tool crib and we had 12 tool checks with our time clock number on them. You gave the tool crib attendent a tool check if you needed to borrow a tool. You had to account for all your tool checks when you left the company. Anything missing was deducted from your last paycheck. We were also able to purchase tools thru the company on a payroll deduction plan. They would either take out the whole amount in one week or a little over several weeks. We were also able to get the company discount. I bought many precision tools and later drafting equipment when I moved into the office. Even today, I purchase tools and materials thru my current employer. I just give the cash to the accounting department. I just think that people take care better care of something if they actually payed for it.

0-1 mic. 6inch caliper. 1 ruler. 1 dial indicator with mag base. 1 edge finder.
Those items SND listed plus all wrenches needed
(allen, combination, open end, etc) needed
to set-up machine they are paid to run as
long as it's not some gantry mill that needs
a 5" wrench that cost $1,000. A $35 set of craftsman screwdrivers wouldn't hurt. Thread mics, blade mics, anvil mics, should be required of top paid toolmakers and journeyman set-ups.
People just don't seem to respect things they
dodn't pay for these days. I wouldn't expect
a bottom wage new hire trainee to buy anything
other than an 0-1 mic until he started making
more money, the higher the pay the more tools
they should acquire.

so how does the average place do it?

you buy your own tools, company pays once every six months or a year to have them calibrated?

i have always avoided getting a real job because of the tools...didn't realize there was so little expected of the average employee....not that i dont have all the ones that a "master toolmaker" should have, i just didn't want to have to buy doubles so I could still have one at home

-Jacob

one thing i would suggest is a "tool allowance"...give them their own budget of a couple hundred dollars a year to buy tools. This allows them to replace things as they wear out, or build up a nice collection.

One of the places I worked gave a 1200 dollar initial stipend for apprentices, then i think it was a couple hundred a year.

-Jacob

In this area you need basically everything. Specialty tools, thread mics for instance, are normally supplied by the shop. Most guys have thread wires anyway. If your personal tools are damagedor worn out in use, the company will usually pay to have them repaired or replaced. Most places will also pay for you to have your indicators cleaned once a year. Expendable tools(end mills, drills, etc.)are the only thing provided for you. The shop I work in used to let people order tools through the company, but there wasn't any discount AND you had to pay taxes on the sale. The QC people "calibrate" our tools at work, though they may come back several thou off. The majority of my tools have NOT been calibrated by QC and I'm not about to let them loose on my toolbox. I'm just not up for having to recalibrate my tools(more than I need) after getting them back.

If the person doesn't pay for it they don't seem to care much about whether or not it gets damaged. I'm guessing that they figure it's not their money anyway.

2 comments:

1...never hired a guy that didn't have a copy of the Machinerys Handbook at his bench.

2...the guys seemed very appreciative every payday when I would invite in the local tool vender. They all had an account with him and paid weekly. This worked for me...because they always had nice accurate tools. Worked for them because they didnt have to shell out all the cash at once, and it worked for the local vendor because he sold more stuff!! WIN WIN WIN!

We are moving to Griffith IN. About a stones throw from Chicago.

I am compiling a list of "required" tools. This is what I have so far. Any comments would be appreciated. Please keep in mind I work in a Tool and Die shop.

0-6 inch mics
0-6 depth mic
6 inch calipers
6 inch scale
1 inch travel indicator with mag base
.0005 test indicator
.0001 test indicator (toolmakers only)
Telescope gages
feeler gages
edge finder
machinist square
combination square
surface gage
center punches
drive pin punches
transfer punches to 1/2 inch
transfer screws to 1/2 inch
metric and standard allen wrenches
set 1-2-3 blocks
dead blow hammer
ball pien hammer
(2) 3 inch c clamps or kan't twist clamps
(2) 4 inch c clamps or kan't twist clamps
cresent wrench
pliers
Tap wrench to 1/2 inch
a box to keep everything in.

When I hired on at Mare Island Shipyard they had a list of tools you were required to have by the time you were a journeyman.
0 to 1 and 1 to 2 od mic.
6" dial caliper
combination square set
.250 dial indicator & magnetic base
1 1/2" to 10 inside mic.
misc hand tools: hammers, punches, chisels, hacksaw, etc
All the rest were supplied by the company, checked out of their crib

I would imagine that the tools you would expect yoour employees to have would be directly relative to what you were paying them. If you had a guy running cutt-off I would imagine he would need a square a scale and a tape measure. I also believe he would not be your top paid man. If a fellow were in charge of figuring complex angles and grind various tool steels, well, if he were this advanced in his trade he would just have his tools, probably ones he has made out of pride. Average guys, I guess 0 thru 3" mics, a combination square set, a six inch scale and a caliber. A few tings such as adjustable wrenches, Two sets of allens and misc screw drivers. A good incling as to what a man is going to do for you would be his willingness to equipt mimself to do the job with a minimum inconvienence to himself. if a guy walks in and says I'd do that but I just don't got the tool. If another guy walks in and says I'll do that. I got a few things in the trunk of my car, I'll be right back. Bingo, pay him more if he keeps it for awhile. Get rid of the other guy.

I was a maintenance machine repairman. I had a tool box with exceptionally good wheels that was difficult to push for any distance. I always carried in my pocket a Super tinkerer swiss army knife and a 4" Utica adjustable wrench on my key chain. I would arrive on my golf cart and do anything within my power to fix it with my Swiss army knife and crescent wrench just to keep from pushing that box. Usually I was able to pull it off. Nintey percent of my job was simple adjustment.

Rob

A few small things I'd add:

small hole gages
adj. parallels
pitch gage-metric & std.
thread wires
a set of parallels
radius gages
drill gage

You might want to divide it down for 1st year,2ndyr,...journeyman. It takes money and time to get a full set of tools.

Jon

here is the freshman tool list my son needed at Alfred state in the machine tool program 2 years ago. The following must be Starrett mitutoyo,or B&S
0-3 outside mikes
0-6 deoth mikes
1/2-4telescoping gauge set
6" calipers
6" scale 5r grad
dial test indicator set
the following may be other brands
scriber
center punches
dead blow hammer
comb square
3/8-1in wrenchs
0-1 dial ind w/ mag base
60 deg ctr gauge
edge finder
screw pitch gauges in&met
radius gauges
surface gauge
set drills fract # & letter
wire brush&chip brush
channel locks&needle nose
files
1-5 ctr drills
allen keys in&met
tap wrenches
rout a bur
dividers
hermaphrrdite cal
scientific calc
india stonefeeler gages
ballpeen
tool box
steel toe shoes
saftey glasses
he said he used every thing, got a good education,5 hrs shop & 3 hrs math & blueprint daily. 2nd year all cnc& cad.Also 8 hr days. He felt they were well tooled & educated for entry leval shop work.
Lee

Holy Llama droppings batman!!! Used Iron--I'd have to rob a bank to afford all that stuff if I had to buy name brand. That's easily $2000 worth of stuff.

I'm just starting out buying my own tools. Here's a list of what I have so far:

Toolbox
0-6" mics
6" scale
scriber
Thread gage
center gage
123 blocks
edge finder
mag base
.0005" DTI
1/2" range Dial indicator
3 1/8" x 2" precision bevel edge square.

To date I've spent about $900, and I've gotten a few bargains. Most of my stuff is name brand, some of the less critical stuff isn't (6" rule, etc.), but most of it is. That's not even a third of the stuff on your list.

-Justin

wow....now i'm starting to feel like i've got too many tools

i have about six different varieties of dial indicators, a box of micrometers, a couple calipers, should have rulers coming out of my ears (shop eats em) as well as depth mics, stuff like that. i do need to give everything a good cleaning and send it in for calibration to a reputable location...or just learn to do it myself.

i was a little pissed to find that my 0-1" mic (only 1 i have..others are all metric for some reason??) has a catch in the thread...that's depressing.

maybe i should apply for a real job...that way i can buy more tools!

-Jacob

Back