What's new
What's new

Where do I find machinists aprons?

Wild West

Hot Rolled
I'm talking about the blue denim aprons with the flap micrometer pocket. I used to get them from Graingers but they have discontinued them. I looked on the 'net but didn't come up with anything. Can one of you folks help me out? My old aprons are worn out and you can't get them clean anymore.

Thanks!!

Do a Google search for "Dickies" brand toolmaker apron. They also turn up on eBay from "dickies-4-less" or something likt that.

Good quality long apron with two lower pockets, rule & pen pocket, and micrometer swing pocket. The straps cross in the back, so once they're attached, you have nothing to tie, and the apron doesn't hang on your neck. Not hot and heavy like leather, but good solid denim. I wear a shop aprom pretty much every day, and these are the best I've found lately.

Dickies has exactly what I'm looking for but they are not in stock at the moment, couldn't have 'em for two weeks. I'll probably just wait for 'em.

I agree with Forrest, on a leather apron. I saw Robert Duvall wear a great leather apron in a movie, and I told my girlfriend that's EXACTLY what I wanted! Of course, it too like 3 years to get it. But you don't have to wash them, they don't get smelly, you don't get oilly and the dirt builds character on them.

Now an old hippie up here custom did this one for me (~$200), if you're interested I can give you his contact info. It's beautiful leather.

apron1.jpg

I don't think leather would work for me. I work close to water base coolant and my apron (the lower half) is what I use to gather up and wipe my hands while on the go in the shop. A good 'ol cotton apron is what works the best for me.

I don't think leather would work for me. I work close to water base coolant
Top grain leather (not suede or split leather) repels water based coolant, TapMagic, WD40, blue chips, grunge, everything. A saddle shop will often have part of a hide that's unsold - I paid $20 for 5 ounce top grain leather, long enounh to go from neck to knees. The local shoe repair shop charged $20 to sew on straps and a buckle.

Best color? Dirt brown

I use my blue denim aprons to: wipe my hands, hold hot parts, and blow my nose. I keep my 6" scale in the scale pocket of the apron. The scale is used for: a screwdriver, a straightedge, scraping gasket surfaces, cleaning T-slots, stirring Kool-Aid, and cutting birthday cake. Occasionally the apron keeps me clean and the scale is used for measuring.

I get aprons from the local rag service company. Instead of having weekly service, I buy rags from them (seconds) for about $1/pound. When they get real dirty, I throw them away. The aprons I wash.

I have Both leather and cotton. I use the leather when welding. Bought it at national welders. National welders has a material appron that is treated not to burn but is lighter than the leather. Washable too. Brownells sells a lightweight cotton shop apron. I am glad to hear dickies makes one too. Make sure that the straps are light enough to tear away if it were to get tangled. An up close and personal view of a turning piece of stock or chuck is a quick way to get hurt of killed.
Rustystud

I hate to say this, but Harbor Frt sells denim aprons cheap and they have a high middle pocket with a ruler/pencil slot and a regular sized pocket next to it! I got a half dozen or so and when they get to oily I take them to the laundrimat and use the big machine with lots of soap, air dry :D As far as breakaway ties I'd rather have a tighter waist and a breakaway neck strap
:eek:

We get ours from Sev en Mile Creek in Eaton Ohio.
800-497-6324. Made in the USA. I have been very
pleased with the quality. Last order about 8 months ago. Hope they are still in business.

Enco has cheap denim ones for $2.99ea on sale in the newest flier (5/06), item #DU505-3927.
Their no great shakes, but they've got both a pencil and a cigarette pack size pocket and at that price plus free shipping, their pretty hard to beat.
I buy them 10 at a time and just toss them when they get too grubby.

Cheers, YOOO VINNY

Back