What's new
What's new

0.5mm drillbit for steel?

Drilldept

Plastic
Hello! I need to drill a 5mm deep hole in steel with a width of only 0,5mm in diameter. So I’m searching for a 0,5mm drillbit but I can’t find any for drilling steel. Is there any 0,3-0,5mm drillbit avaible for steel?

Hello! I need to drill a 5mm deep hole in steel with a width of only 0,5mm in diameter. So I’m searching for a 0,5mm drillbit but I can’t find any for drilling steel. Is there any 0,3-0,5mm drillbit avaible for steel?

.019/.020 diameter drill bits are very prevalent.

What kind of "steel" are you drilling?

You will need to spin it at 5000rpm at least, better to get close to 15,000.

Inspect every bit under a tooling microscope BEFORE you use it.

.005 steps are the norm.

I’m drilling 4340 steel. I usually spinn the drill slowly when I’m working with 4340 because it has to keep cool otherwise it can surface harden and it gets impossible to drill when it does so.

But I have never drilled such a small hole before.

Using CNC or manual machine? Good repair or last legs? With coolant or oil or dry?

If possible, a CNC with good coolant flushing would be my choice, but your comment about drilling slow makes me think you're doing this manually. If so, buy or borrow a "sensitive drill chuck" like this: YouTube and use a high quality cobalt drill. Cobalt keeps its edge better but is more brittle than HSS, so practice on a scrap part first.

Guhring, Titex, even old-line US makes of cobalt drill bits will be fine if you get them from an industrial supplier.

speed is nice for small drills, but not at all essential....whats essential is concentricity (collet or very good chuck) and super sensitive feed.

standard size at any watchmaker's supply place, i.e. Perrins or Otti Frei

Back