What's new
What's new

1/2" collet vs 12mm end mill

Ivan Vegvary

Plastic
Simple question. Can a half inch collet (Type Z, Tree Mill) securely hold a 12mm endmill.
I have a chance to buy some new endmills from a private party at a great price.
Thanks for all replies.

Simple answer is NO! It would ruin the collet and hold the cutter crooked and insecurely. Try to see if you can find a 12 mm Z collet for less than the OEM price of $48 + S&H.

Universal Devlieg - 3/4 Capacity Double Taper Collets

If you are good with a lathe, make a split bushing with 12 mm bore to fit your 5/8 collet.

Larry

Larry, thank you so much for your reply. I will order a single 12mm collet. However making a bushing, as suggested, would be faster in the short term. Thanks again.

FYI Elaire Corporation - Double Taper Collets

Though I shudder to think how much they are :eek:
Differetn type of collet, but the ones from Ellaire for my Precise jig grinder were just fine. And much less expensive than from Fischer Spindle.

I'm a great believer in Larry Vanices sleeves, IME you don't even need to split them - juts Loctite the sleeve to the cutter (but don't tell the PM Purists about that - they get a bit upset ;) )

We do it for everything else, why not "Z"?

Wasn't for bushings, I wouldn't even have shiney-wood bar under-roof.

Still - if 12 mm is going to be a regular item on the menu, JF order a 12 mm.
Or two.

With a proper fit, they last long enough the price isn't actually horrible.

FYI Elaire Corporation - Double Taper Collets

Though I shudder to think how much they are :eek:

I'm a great believer in Larry Vanices sleeves, IME you don't even need to split them - juts Loctite the sleeve to the cutter (but don't tell the PM Purists about that - they get a bit upset ;) )

Still wondering where you get (cheap) import Z collets, but I guess it does not matter, thanks to Sami. Cheap American copy of Universal collets is better anyway.

Elaire page says, "Elaire Corporation is proud to manufacture all the parts in the United States of America. All the machines, materiels, steel and alloys are U.S. made." Unfortunately, Made in USA is an unusual statement these days, and made on USA machines is astonishing.

Their address is a bay in a smallish building on the west edge of Toledo, OH. Looks like a small shop in a low rent area, so maybe they are cheaper than Universal. In fact, they do list a price of $75 for a set of three common inch size Z collets, so just over half of the Universal price per collet. You would have to call them for a price on a 12 mm Z collet.

Elaire Corporation - Tree Mill Collets

By the way, Hardinge makes beautiful split bushings, including 5/8" x 12 mm, but they cost $42 + S&H. ShopHardinge - 17650017120000

Larry

Last edited:
Nor do I know where you'd find an import Larry, BOTOH Not even knowing what a Z collet was (never heard of a Tree mill this side of the Atlantic) I Googled them and that was what came up so I thought I'd post a link.

Back