What's new
What's new

1/2" Conduit Fitting Threads ??

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
I'm trying to figure out what tap I need to tap a hole that a 1/2" EMT Conduit fitting will thread into, this is a standard electrical fitting with the thin nut, normally used on sheet metal, I need it to screw into 1/4" thick steel. A 3/4-16 is too small, a 7/8-14 is too large. After 2 hours of searching shop I cannot locate a standard thread pitch gauge, just 3 metric sets and none match the fitting. Looks like 4.5 threads per 1/4", so maybe its 16tpi? Major diameter of the threads on the fitting is .800 , is this a proprietary thread? Maybe I should be using a different fitting?

Attachments

• conduit fitting.jpg
    conduit fitting.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 63
I looked at that site, not seeing the answer there, if you see it please let me know:D. Major diameter of my 7/8-14 tap is .885", which I think would be a sloppy fit? My 3/4" pipe tap falls thru the hole, can't find a 1" but suspect its too big..

Edit: Put my readers on so I could actually reads sizes on pipe taps, hmm, maybe I need to find the box with the rest of the pipe taps:o

I believe this is a 1/2 inch NPT (tapered pipe thread). My 1/2in NPT tap exactly fits a 1/2" EMT retaining nut and the matching die fits the male threads....

Electrical threads do not have the taper of NPT. This allows for gases to escape for explosion proof installations. The 1/2” is still 14 TPI. Just don’t bottom your 1/2” NPT out. Tap shallow.

Conduit fittings

Keep in mind; those emt fittings are sometimes threaded with straight threads. Most pipe taps come in tapered style as well as straight design. I believe those fittings will require straight taps. I hv a collection of both in the smaller NPT size
I believe this is a 1/2 inch NPT (tapered pipe thread). My 1/2in NPT tap exactly fits a 1/2" EMT retaining nut and the matching die fits the male threads....

Kevin, You hit the nail on the head. I tap conduit fittings in my building all the time with those straight pipe taps. Never knew about the gas venting requirements!!

That is a second. I'm looking at one of those 1/2 EMT threads and a 1/2-14 NPT tap. I remember that the cost of that OSG tap was ... hurtful.

I agree on it being a straight thread. I believe you can run the NPT tap all the way thru the hole.

Keep in mind; those emt fittings are sometimes threaded with straight threads. Most pipe taps come in tapered style as well as straight design. I believe those fittings will require straight taps. I hv a collection of both in the smaller NPT size

Straight threads are the neatest but won't seal like a tapered thread. But me thinks that the thread distance is so small that it doesn't make much difference.
But there is a difference.

You can tap with a NPT tap and just ho in as far as you want to the threads bottom out so it is a flush installation. Or you can go all the way through with the tapered tap and make straight threads. Though you will have to drill a lightly larger hole for it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NEC 344.38 "..........Where conduit is threaded in the field, a standard cutting die with a 1 in 16 taper (¾-in. taper per foot) shall be used.

(That's NPT, and generally refers to heavyweight conduit that normally comes factory threaded.) However, the EMT threaded box connectors I have appear to also be tapered. Straight joiners are not taper threaded. The thin retaining rings only have 2-3 threads so are difficult to assess.

Back