What's new
What's new

1.6MM Drill - Thru Spindle Coolant Issues

Ez_DuzIt123

Plastic
I bought a 1.6mm thru spindle Mitsubishi drill a few days ago for a special job. when i was ordering the drill i looked around online for a thru coolant ER-11 collet but couldn't find anything for a 3mm shank so i figured it's because there isn't a need for one and the collet would close up enough to force the coolant through the drill. Well... i was definitely wrong about that. Tried a few different collets and they all seem to allow the coolant to exit through the nut instead of the drill. What do i need to make this thing work?

Booze's link is about the only one. My goto for sealed collets is either Iscar or Pioneer, but neither seems to offer collets smaller than er16.

Out of curiosity what Mitsubishi drill are you using? I make heavy use of the MVS and MFE drills with MHS for 1 line of parts. In 1.6mm I've also used Guhrings drills though not in through spindle coolant. Just how deep are you going with it?

I am using the MVS series. I am going to be drilling about 45mm deep into acrylic.

Oof, yea that's not a nice material to drill through that deep. I'd definitely still peck it even with the through spindle coolant because I'd be afraid of the chips not breaking up nicely and packing up in the drill. I hope you have 1000 PSI coolant on that machine. Honestly I'd have probably just gone with a HSS parabolic from Guhring.

MVS are great drills, but not nearly as sharp as a conventional drill. Great for steel, not so much for soft and gummy materials. I hope you keep us updated. I pretty much only use their drills in 4340 and a tiny bit of aluminum. Really curious as to how well they can work in acrylic.

Mitsubishi was about the only vendor I could find with a 1.6mm 30D length drill. Luckily I got it off Xometry with a coupon code for $200 lol. If it doesn't work at least it wasn't too expensive. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I am going to run it in an ER16 Coolant Sealed Collet.

Update: The through spindle drill did not work as i expected. I wasn't getting very good flow out of the drill. I don't think my tank is clean enough to be using such a small thru coolant drill, lesson learned.

I started with a 6000 rpm spindle speed,.08 peck, and a 10 IPM feed rate and it melted the Acrylic very quick. Then i tried everything all the way down to 2700 RPM and 40 IPM (same peck) which caused cracking in the material and still wanted to melt. I am going to try some Guhring parabolic HSS drills and see what kind of results i can achieve. The whole reason i went with the thru spindle was so the holes would have a nice finish looking through the Acrylic. I don't think i am going to get this result without reaming the holes so I purchased a couple reamers along with the new drills. We'll see how this goes on Monday..

We dont have any ER11 coolant sealing collets but we do have ER16.

ER Coolant Sealing Collets - ER16, ER20, ER25, ER32 Coolant Collets - MariTool

Wow $111.00 for a ER11 coolant sealing collet is just crazy. Im gonna have to contact my sources and see if I can find some that can provide ER11 coolant collets.

I tend to avoid coolant drills under 1/4 Inch. Sometimes your coolant needs to get thinned out, extra filtration, more pressure, just isn't worth the trouble in my situation.

Back