What's new
What's new

1" R8 Collet

tightwoods

Plastic
Does anybody make a 1" R8 collet that can handle normal cuts? Comments I've read complain about flexing too much, not tightly holding the shank, or light cuts (.010") only. Thanks.

Does anybody make a 1" R8 collet that can handle normal cuts? Comments I've read complain about flexing too much, not tightly holding the shank, or light cuts (.010") only. Thanks.

Not really possible. You can't sink a 1" bore down into an R8 taper, so the bore has to be outside the taper, and then there's all sorts of overhang. R8 straight section isn't even 1" OD, so hanging a 1" diameter tool out there is really pushing it.

Regards.

Mike

Personally, I either use 1/2" or smaller solid carbide endmills for roughing or a facemill for finishing up a surface on a Bridgeport. Large indexables just aren't made for a flimsy kneemill.

Personally, I either use 1/2" or smaller solid carbide endmills for roughing or a facemill for finishing up a surface on a Bridgeport. Large indexables just aren't made for a flimsy kneemill.

This. God knows I've ruined enough cutters trying to get this through my thick head.

A R8 B/port is a highly versatile machine, but not for heavy cuts.

PDW

If you want wider facing cuts to a shoulder, I suggest you consider a shell mill. R8 shell mill adaptors aren't that expensive and a small collection of shell mills of different sizes up t o 3" are very convenient but they may take some time to accumulate.

Shell mills on a turret mill have to be used with caution. An R8 spindle turret mill has no positive driving feature. The cutter is driven by friction of the adapter taper in the spindle. Therefore your machine will be limited in stock removal as a function of cutter diameter, depth of cut, number of teeth, and feed per tooth.

For instance, a full width face and shoulder cut on a 10 tooth, 3" shell mill in mild steel for my machine is 0.015" off the shoulder and 0.025" off the face. That allows a safety margin to avoid spinning the tool in the taper. Increase feed/DOC in inverse proportion to cutter diameter - ie: 0.015" off the shoulder and 0.040 off the face.

You can run larger endmills via adaptors but at the expense of very large overhangs leading to increased chatter and reduced rigidity.

Took me a couple years to acquire a collection of shell mills and an import set of shell mill adaptors off eBay, but now I have a diversified supply.

Yea, I also have one. It came as part of a set. I don't think I will ever use it other than as a paper weight. I even laughed out loud when I first saw it.

The only milling cutter where it might work is a 1/16" end mill with a 1" shank.

Send me a shipping label and it's yours.

Back