What's new
What's new

10 gauge 6061 Aluminum sheet

hoot

Aluminum
I have a job here that requires 6061 10 gauge aluminum (.100")
In my search I find most suppliers skip over 10 gauge. I see .09" then .125"
I was wondering if anyone knows why it's not common and where I might find a 12" x 24" piece (approx)

Thank you in advance.

Thank you all. Got a sheet ordered from our local metals supplier. I didn't need a full sheet but the little guys like McMaster don't carry it.

I don't know what your trip is dude.

When I Google ".100 thick Aluminum" there isn't even a bunch of Random shit that comes up. It's literally every website that pops up, has it.

"Can't find it" must mean something else to you.

I don't know what your trip is dude.

When I Google ".100 thick Aluminum" there isn't even a bunch of Random shit that comes up. It's literally every website that pops up, has it.

"Can't find it" must mean something else to you.

It's because did you read how much I needed? I guess i should have you proof read my posts before i post them.
1) I'm not real knowledgeable with sheet metal and gauges
2) I only needed a small piece so I went on McMaster Carr and MSC websites. Neither had 10 guage 6061

Do you know why they skip this size?

I knew I could get it from our big supplier. Just didn't need a big sheet and the wait. We have lots of sheet metal here but we don't use 10 gauge. The sheet will sit around unused for years. With McMaster I could have a piece by the end of the day if they carried it.

BTW in my research... did you know anesthesiologists are partially the reason we still use the gauge system?

It's because did you read how much I needed? I guess i should have you proof read my posts before i post them.
1) I'm not real knowledgeable with sheet metal and gauges
2) I only needed a small piece so I went on McMaster Carr and MSC websites. Neither had 10 guage 6061

Do you know why they skip this size?

I knew I could get it from our big supplier. Just didn't need a big sheet and the wait. We have lots of sheet metal here but we don't use 10 gauge. The sheet will sit around unused for years.

BTW in my research... did you know anesthesiologists are partially the reason we still use the gauge system?

Then, why did you quote a job when you had no clue where to get the material?

6061-T6 is available from Central Steel & Wire.

Aluminum Products - Wide Selection

They have 48" x 120" sheets for $56.44 per sheet and 48" x 144" sheets for $67.73 per sheet.

I had to go pull up the two line items you quoted, as those prices were astoundingly good. As in, good enough that I'd drive to Chicago from Ga to pick up a truck load.

Turns out, 56.44 and 67.73 is the listed weight of a sheet, not the cost.

I'd advise not using those prices for quoting a job...

I have a job here that requires 6061 10 gauge aluminum (.100")
In my search I find most suppliers skip over 10 gauge. I see .09" then .125"
I was wondering if anyone knows why it's not common and where I might find a 12" x 24" piece (approx)

Thank you in advance.

Okay, I would have wrote it like this.

I quoted a job without knowing the availability of the Material. I'm looking for .1" thick 6061 Txxx in a 12x24 sheet. I checked with Mcmastersuk and MSC but they don't have that thickness I need, in the dimensions I need. Does anyone know of someone that might be able to get me some in the next couple days. BTW I/m in Pennsylvania.

What you posted sounds like this;

I have a job, that I prefer using 6061 .1" thick.
Can you guys Google that for me?
Why is life so hard?

R

Richard Nixon was the best president in history

Okay, I would have wrote it like this.

I quoted a job without knowing the availability of the Material. I'm looking for .1" thick 6061 Txxx in a 12x24 sheet. I checked with Mcmastersuk and MSC but they don't have that thickness I need, in the dimensions I need. Does anyone know of someone that might be able to get me some in the next couple days. BTW I/m in Pennsylvania.

What you posted sounds like this;

I have a job, that I prefer using 6061 .1" thick.
Can you guys Google that for me?
Why is life so hard?
Life is hard when your ignorant....

Attachments

• Non Sequitor-CriticalThinking.JPG
    Non Sequitor-CriticalThinking.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 73
I don't quote jobs. I don't have to. I just make parts and fix parts for a small company. We aren't a job shop.

I already did the googling. I was wondering why McMaster and MSC skip over that gauge.

I guess i was expecting a polite answer. I didn't think my original post was ignorant but your response sure was. Just because someone doesn't convey their thoughts in perfect manner doesn't make them ignorant. If you don't have patience then don't respond.

Did anyone notice? 10GA is NOT .100 as Hoot implied.

10Ga is about .135, which does he want???

Ya gotta be specific around here.

Ed.

I have never used any gauge aluminum, it is odd, so that is why it is not shown on the vendors website. Fractional is more common.

As mentioned above, the very first sales related result on google shows it in stock in the size you need for what appears to be reasonable money

People are jumping on you because you are asking to be lead by the hand and then having attitude when it doesn't happen

Welcome to the World Wide Web

I don't quote jobs. I don't have to. I just make parts and fix parts for a small company. We aren't a job shop.

I already did the googling. I was wondering why McMaster and MSC skip over that gauge.

I guess i was expecting a polite answer. I didn't think my original post was ignorant but your response sure was. Just because someone doesn't convey their thoughts in perfect manner doesn't make them ignorant.

Waaaa. Grow up kid.

So you didn't quote the job, but you're still responsible for procurement and manufacture? That's BS.

My suggestion is do all the work you can, before you ask us. This is part of the learning process.

R

I have never used any gauge aluminum, it is odd, so that is why it is not shown on the vendors website. Fractional is more common.

As mentioned above, the very first sales related result on google shows it in stock in the size you need for what appears to be reasonable money

People are jumping on you because you are asking to be lead by the hand and then having attitude when it doesn't happen

Welcome to the World Wide Web

So no response to my original question? Why does McMaster carr and MSC skip 10 gauge?
I guess no one knows and that would have been a fine answer.

Looking here on McMaster Carr you see some oddball thicknesses that aren't fractional.
McMaster-Carr

The gauge system has been a nightmare since they started it. It was originally based on drawing wire through a die. The reason the higher number is thinner is because it originally took many draws to get the smaller dia in wire.

Google gauges since you are all so into google. Not everybody uses the same standards but it looks like almost everybody here uses the same standard in answering questions

I had to go pull up the two line items you quoted, as those prices were astoundingly good. As in, good enough that I'd drive to Chicago from Ga to pick up a truck load.

Turns out, 56.44 and 67.73 is the listed weight of a sheet, not the cost.

I'd advise not using those prices for quoting a job...

OOPS! Sorry About That. I should have read closer. It did seem a bit cheap. I should have realized that wasn't the price per sheet. I bought a few partial sheets of 12 ga. and 16 ga. recently. The price for half a sheet was nearly the same price.

Waaaa. Grow up kid.

So you didn't quote the job, but you're still responsible for procurement and manufacture? That's BS.

My suggestion is do all the work you can, before you ask us. This is part of the learning process.

R

I feel sorry for the mods and admin on this site.

I never said i was the smartest but I've been around. What I see here is a bunch of people jumping to conclusions and not really answering the questions. We spend more time jabbing back and forth than answering. If you don't like my question than don't respond. You aren't required to. But if you feel that jumping down peoples throats is a good way to go you're not being reasonable.

I have a long history in manufacturing including model making, tool and die, mold making, 5-Axis CNC aerospace programming and engineering. I don't have a ton of experience with sheet metal and sheet metal fabrication. This is my retirement job. I love it. Yes they "allow" me to research and procure some.

I'm a support machinist for a manufacturing company. I just ask for tools and material and they buy it.
Sometimes I'm at the saw cutting stock while other times I'm machining high tolerance components for prototype equipment. They also respect my knowledge and allow me to research and recommend equipment in all areas of the company.
Just the other day I had them order a half a dozen brooms.

All the information you need right here. Pay close attention to the first 4 companies that pop up. They ALL have it, available in the cut size you need.

LMGTFY

Back