What's new
What's new

10 Inch Shopsmith Table Saw Blades

lalkie

Plastic
I have a Shopsmith woodworking machine. The Shopsmith uses 1.250 arbors for their table saw blades. The saw blades from Shopsmith with the 2.250 are expensive and not the best quality. I want to take some 10 inch saw blades I have with a 5/8 arbor hole and in large the harbor hole to 1.250. I am concerned with run out if I don't cut the hole accurately. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to mount the blade in my lathe to insure I get an accurate cut. Any help would be appreciated. Larry

I have a Shopsmith woodworking machine. The Shopsmith uses 1.250 arbors for their table saw blades. The saw blades from Shopsmith with the 2.250 are expensive and not the best quality. I want to take some 10 inch saw blades I have with a 5/8 arbor hole and in large the harbor hole to 1.250. I am concerned with run out if I don't cut the hole accurately. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to mount the blade in my lathe to insure I get an accurate cut. Any help would be appreciated. Larry

Don't do it in your lathe, do it in your milling machine. what size do you really want, 1.25 or 2.25? It is easy sweep the original hole in with an indicator to find center, plunge it with a big end mill then bore it to size. BTW shop smith is on the banned list so this post will soon be deleted.

I suggest mounting the blade to a faceplate and center the existing hole using a dial indicator. You can then enlarge the hole by boring, or whatever means you select. You could also dial in the hole the same way on a milling machine, and then enlarge the hole using spindle mounted tooling.

As I recall, the Shopsmith has a 5/8" straight spindle, so all attachments have a 5/8" bore with a set screw or two. I should think it would be simple to make a saw blade arbor with the 5/8" bore and a male threaded 5/8" end to hold standard saw blades and dado blades. I would not be surprised if such adapters are ready made and sold by tool companies or Amazon.

Actually, I see Shopsmith sells blade arbors with your choice of 1.25" or 5/8". Shopsmith Saw Blade Arbors

So it would be an utter waste of time to bore out a blade from 5/8" to 1.25", or even to ask how to do it.

Larry

Over the years I've modified quite a lot of woodworking saw blades and cutter blocks etc etc. going metric in the 70's, a lot of cutters didn't fit imperial spindles and vice versa.

My method for saw blades ;-

Fit a disc of thick ply to a face plate and face true.

Turn OD true and step the outer rim of the face to allow clearance for the tips or set.

Fix blade to ply using wood screw or self tappers and mudguard washers etc through the gullets.

Centre up and bore out.

N.B. I've had plenty where the centre hole was not true to the teeth, so check on that as well and adjust accordingly.

As I recall, the Shopsmith has a 5/8" straight spindle, so all attachments have a 5/8" bore with a set screw or two. I should think it would be simple to make a saw blade arbor with the 5/8" bore and a male threaded 5/8" end to hold standard saw blades and dado blades. I would not be surprised if such adapters are ready made and sold by tool companies or Amazon.

Actually, I see Shopsmith sells blade arbors with your choice of 1.25" or 5/8". Shopsmith Saw Blade Arbors

So it would be an utter waste of time to bore out a blade from 5/8" to 1.25", or even to ask how to do it.

Larry

I have a shopsmith with the 5/8 blade arbor, works as well enough.

CarlBoyd

I have a shopsmith with the 5/8 blade arbor, works as well enough.

CarlBoyd
Thanks for the response. I have a number of blades that work better with the 1.250 shopsmith arbors. I will try the milling machine idea and attaching the blade to some plywood. Thanks Again.Larry

Remarkable coincidence, I bought a Freud stacked dado head yesterday, unused, it won’t fit on my multico table saw as the arbour is 3/4”, it is designed for dado blades and unusually a moulding block which came with it, the dado head hole is a bit small, needs enlarging, limis method will be tried asap.
Thanks
Mark

When I needed to enlarge the hole in a 10" blade I set it up in the mill on four 123 blocks. I used spacers between thr blade and the clamps so there was no chance of the clamps bearing in the carbide inserts. I opened the hole using a boring head.

Back