What's new
What's new

10EE in Michigan for less than Two Grand

I have what looks to be the same Enco hex turret, but his one looks to have a shop-fabbed "hex" - or maybe just a cover? - as the socket holes aren't showing.

5/8" on my one. Lots of Hardinge tooling that fits has been snatched up, already.

So long as the OEM motor is there, a(ny) form of DC Drive - original MG onward - isn't hard to maintain, restore, or upgrade.

Can't tell anything about bearings nor bed, but it doesn't look as if anything has been done, so...

"Dice roll" ... but a fairly cheap and low-risk one as 10EE go.

They'll still make decent parts with a LOT of uncorrected wear on 'em, after all.

It has all the negatives, 2k is not a deal...Phil

Not five or ten years ago, no. My eldest was under $1,200, the younger one a lot more, already. Folks have been buying them more often than selling, recent years, so there are fewer in the market.

And then there is transport and providing power.

Current market? Seriously hard to get down that low, even for one known to NOT be running, and with NO tooling whatsoever, missing its covers and even a tailstock, etc.

It may have a TS,Cant know till you call. Just a couple years ago there were two E just a mile from my house..I did not go look at them because I had no room.
I have seen guy put a center in a turret.

I could/would make offer but would have no place to put it

Purely out of curiosity

What were they like with a bed turret on ?

Only had 20" c-to-c to begin with. LESS the hang-out of a chuck or such.

Enco hex and similar actually have fair-decent travel of their own relative to that modest budget, so surely no Ward capstan, Gisholt, Warner & Swasey, but without doubt more balls and rigidity OTHER than the turret than, for example a Hardinge or the like SMALL "collet runner".

The Enco is right about the upper bound of mass I can take off or put it on to swap for the OEM tailstock without need of lifting gear. Easier yet for a younger man.

Bottom line, short as a 10EE is to begin with, I class it more good than harm.

Phil's right IF it spent any significant part of its life worked HARD that way.

Good chance it did not.

Could be simply a late-in-life addition. As my one is.

Partly done for a common 10EE curse.

More 10EE have survived than decent OEM tailstocks FOR them can still be found!

Grafting-on and aligning a turret of this general type is actually EASIER than fitting a worn or rebuilt OEM TS or adapting an "alien" TS, either one.

They were made knowing in advance they'd need adaptation, regardless.

Slightly OT, but I run my Clausing 5914 with hex bed turret carrying a live center in one of the turret holes. It comes in handy for light work, especially when I need to make a thin flat disk-type part that needs to be mashed up against a faceplate with some sort of plug to turn the OD. It saves swapping the turret for the tailstock, which in my case probably ends up being an hour and high likelihood of injury. I just hang some weight on the most convenient turret handle to load the live center and make chips. I wouldn't try that with a 90-lb workpiece, though.

Slightly OT, but I run my Clausing 5914 with hex bed turret carrying a live center in one of the turret holes. It comes in handy for light work, especially when I need to make a thin flat disk-type part that needs to be mashed up against a faceplate with some sort of plug to turn the OD. It saves swapping the turret for the tailstock, which in my case probably ends up being an hour and high likelihood of injury. I just hang some weight on the most convenient turret handle to load the live center and make chips. I wouldn't try that with a 90-lb workpiece, though.

Point.

But in my case, I don't have to do.

The "third 10EE" being a Cazeneuve HBX-360-BC - nominal 14" X 30" - with native 5 MT in the capstan/ram TS!

:D

Back