What's new
What's new

I need to convert a measured drawing to a .dwg file

rimcanyon

Diamond
I have an old, traditional 2d drawing that i need to convert to a .dwg file, so that i can get it fabricated ( cut from 1/2” steel plate by a local fab shop that has a water jet machine). I don’t own any CAD software.

The drawing is complex, it is the frame for a Baldwin steam locomotive that needs to be scaled down. I wouldn’t mind transcribing the drawing, it is almost entirely rectilinear. I just don’t want to deal with complex software that will take me weeks to learn and has capabilities I have to master or deal with even though I will never use them...

So what are my options? Can I pay someone to convert the drawing to a .dwg file, and is it likely they will create a useful piece of work that the shop can cut from? Is there any simple to use software I can purchase or lease than can create a 2d .dwg file?

is it gosher to 'poach' rfq in this section? Not asking for a friend, but me. Yes, you can do it yourself or pay me (errr, many people) to give you a clean dxf ready for machine import. Some (meaning me) can also give dstv files if that is job shops preference.

Are you on the Chaski Live Steam forum? Ask there, and like memphisjed says many people can do this, including me. The frame is not that complex, all simple 2D stuff, I should add that its easy IF the drawing contains all the dimensions needed. Interpreting dims makes it a bit harder. Also if this is for an operating model some changes will be needed, mainly to change the axlebox opening to vertical instead of one side being on an slight angle for the pedestal binders. But you probably knew that!

Also if this is for an operating model some changes will be needed, mainly to change the axlebox opening to vertical instead of one side being on an slight angle for the pedestal binders. But you probably knew that!

Pedestal binders close the axle box openings....the angle is there for the wedges (opposite the shoes) that adjust the sliding clearance for the driving boxes (in full sized locomotives).

Cheers Ross

Are you on the Chaski Live Steam forum? Ask there, and like memphisjed says many people can do this, including me. The frame is not that complex, all simple 2D stuff, I should add that its easy IF the drawing contains all the dimensions needed. Interpreting dims makes it a bit harder. Also if this is for an operating model some changes will be needed, mainly to change the axlebox opening to vertical instead of one side being on an slight angle for the pedestal binders. But you probably knew that!

This is a project that I initiated 15 or 20 years ago, and want to get going on again. No machining has been started, but getting the frame fabricated is the first step, so I would like to get that going. But the direct answer to your question is, quite right! Knew being in the past tense. The drawings have already been modified (by HobbyMechanics of Australia, where I purchased the castings kit) so they are good to go. I just need a file that is in a format the shop can use.

I haven’t used the Chaski Live Steam forum in years, but I will check in there, see if I can get my account reactivated.

So .dxf and .dwg both were originally AutoCAD formats IIRC; there may be free CAD programs out there that save to that format if you look around. If you feel like learning a new program, I have been using Inkscape for some simple design functions. There are lots of tutorials on Youtube and you can save your 2D drawing to different file formats.

and is it likely they will create a useful piece of work

Only if they understand that Baldwin's drawing was not the SIMPLE thing needed for water jet

I.E., it has an outer shape and several "innershapes" - and nothing else. I'll bet Baldwin has tons more info

Here is a Brooks 1899 effort posing for its builder's photo

Scan 02.jpg

I use FastCAD. It is not free, but not overly expensive. And I think it is easy to learn: I was making drawings on the first day that I installed it. It will save files in both of the formats that you mentioned.

Products

They also have EasyCAD for a substantial lower price. It is 2D instead of having 3D features. It should also allow you to save in those formats. I started with earlier versions of EasyCAD and moved up to the FastCAD with an "offer", upgrade price. The learning curve is about the same for each version unless you want to do 3D stuff.

I have found their support to be excellent. They have a BB, similar to this one and the owner and chief programmer does monitor it. I once posted a problem and the fix was available in a revised version the very next day on their web site. And it was free to all registered users. I have never seen any software company react that fast.

Oh, and they offer a 14 day free trial with the FULL versions. You could download one, learn it in a few hours, and do your drawing in far less time.

I think you can export files from Inkscape which is free to dwg. I've exported dxf and svg but not dwg. Here's a link that claims to be able to convert from pdf to dwg.

YouTube

I think you can export files from Inkscape which is free to dwg. I've exported dxf and svg but not dwg. Here's a link that claims to be able to convert from pdf to dwg.

YouTube

You can only convert vector based pdf to svg/dwg/dxf/sldprt ect if it is a raster based pdf then you have tracing - depends on original the quality of a straight tracing result, and rarely good enough without hand work. If the original pdf has a spline then a machine will not read that, which is hard to say until after conversion and inspecting drawing elements, depends on what made pdf.
I have multiple pdf converters from adobe illustrator (best auto tracer) to corel (can read anything) to a batch pdf to dxf convertor with scaling. Trying to get away cheap is possible, free it is not possible without huge amounts of time - mixed results - and head aches - and lots of throwing things in language that is not safe for the internet. Think grizzly mini bench mill vs bpc vs brother. All can do the same thing, but.....

Try DeltaCad. Even a dumbshit like me learned it quick, costs $35 and the guy supports it really well. I have tried some of the fancier pgms but found them too complicated and hard to learn for the stuff I do always went back to Delta.
Bob

it's been qty (2) days....the damn thing should be done by now.....:D

FWIW I have never heard the term "Measured Drawing",
always "Hand Drawing" or "Paper Drawing".

Personally, I refer to them as "Hand-A-Matic".....:D

Why are people recommending all these paid programs isn’t fusion 360 free? And I know it’s decent probably better than most cheap softwares. Also to the op as many others have said I can convert the drawing for you pretty quickly and low cost.

Back