What's new
What's new

11 Degree Tapered Hole

rcull

Plastic
I am working on a Buick 455 valve train, and have discovered a parts availability/mating problem.

Buick uses a 3/8 valve stem with an unusual keeper to valve mating and am 11 degree keeper to retainer angle. I would like to use some stronger retainers. None are available.

The easiest solve would be to be able to drill/ream a set of 10 degree retainer to accept the 11 degree keepers.

I have been looking for a reamer or end mill that might do the job, but am not finding one:(

The top of the keeper on the valve measure about 0.580", so that would be the minimum reamer or end mill top diameter.

Open to ideas!

Thanks

I supposed getting rid of the screwy Buick valves and replacing them with a normal valve is out of the question?

The good news, either way, is you are walking down a path a million other people already have been down. Surely within the Buick world there are other guys who have dealt with this issue....?

Buick uses a 3/8 valve stem with an unusual keeper to valve mating and am 11 degree keeper to retainer angle. I would like to use some stronger retainers. None are available.
If you have a lathe, retainers are trivial to make. Even I can do it. Then you can make them whatever shape you want, out of whatever material.

Ti might be overkill for a 3500 rpm Buick ?

You might take a look at gunsmith tools. For reasons I've never understood, target barrels are often crowned on an 11 degree taper. I think Brownell's used to offer an 11 degree crown cutting tool.

I know it's all jokes....but any Buick 455 that exceeds....5000RPM or so....won't be doing it for long.

Steel is the only retainer material for a V8 that's gonna be expected to last. Titanium is cool, but it's not a long term affair. Aluminum? That's "1970's learning experience" stuff.

Isky, and others, have killer lightweight steel retainers that are within a few grams - literally a few - of titanium. They're not $69/set, though!

I know it's all jokes....but any Buick 455 that exceeds....5000RPM or so....won't be doing it for long.

Steel is the only retainer material for a V8 that's gonna be expected to last. Titanium is cool, but it's not a long term affair. Aluminum? That's "1970's learning experience" stuff.

Isky, and others, have killer lightweight steel retainers that are within a few grams - literally a few - of titanium. They're not $69/set, though!

Years ago I ran a motor with aluminum rods and aluminum retainers on the street for years. What I found to determine if aluminum retainers lasts it spring pressure and how hard the cam closes the valve.

But todays beehive springs have made for cheap lightweight retainers for all but the most extreme applications.

What is the valve retainer groove , square,round, double round or like a old flathead?
I get blank valves from ferrea and we machine the length and groove, (grooves) practically daily. On those you must run lash caps or you will beat the top of the stems up.
Pay attention to the geometry of the groove, keeper interface. Even at low rpms they are a highly stressed part susceptible to fatigue. The taper of the retainer and keeper needs to be right too or you can have issues, don’t want to have your Buick tun in to a puick!
7075 retainers i have see run hundreds of passes down a dragstrip with 8-900 pounds open spring force, you Buick might have 150 pounds tops unless you modified it. Send them out and get them hard anodized and they will be reliable for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are looking in the wrong place and you are looking for the wrong things. First contact Kenne Bell. He's the Buick guy. Throw the valve locks away and buy retainers and keepers that match. They come in all different angles from 12 to 7 degrees. Who cares as long as they match. They are available everywhere that sells cams and springs.

Please do not pay attention to those folks that have NO experience with 455 Buick motors, like Emmanuel. He probably never rode in a Buick GS in his life. Do a Google search on the Jones & Benisek car (Doug Jones & Dave Benisek). There is lots of stories about that car, a 1970 Buick GS 455. If my memory is correct, it won all 7 NHRA Regional nationals in its class in 1973 and it has never been done since. I can tell you from first hand knowledge that it easily ran in the 10s. I know that because I was in the front seat on the old 210 dragway with Doug.

Back