What's new
What's new

115 Collets

Logslumberlt15

Plastic
I recently purchased a Cushman collet chuck that came with a few collets. I am looking to complete the set. They are 115 collets. Any ideas as to where to find these?

I recently purchased a Cushman collet chuck that came with a few collets. I am looking to complete the set. They are 115 collets. Any ideas as to where to find these?

Hardinge will make about any collet, but the less popular types are priced for customers who need one for a particular job that will pay for the tooling. That is why the common size 115 collets are $572 each.

The best way to find more or less low priced collets is to search eBay, but 115 chucks were not popular, so the collets are scarce.

The most cheap and readily available collet set is the 5C. If you have the ability, see if you can make a sleeve and threaded adapter to make your Cushman chuck hold 5C collets.

There are a few used machinery dealers who have collets for sale that are not listed on eBay. Finding them can involve luck. I remember Yoder's in Holland, OH that took all the small tooling (collets) that came with their used machines and put them on shelves in one corner of their huge building. I once bought a large number of Hardinge 6C collets there to fit two of my old Cataract lathes. I have never seen another 6C collet in the succeeding 30 years.

Complete sets of collets invariably include sizes that have never been needed and likely never will be needed. But we buy them anyway because we cannot be sure what those unneeded sizes are.

Larry

I found a bunch of Hardinge 215 collets here and wondered what they were for. I'm trying to collect Hardinge 5C's for myself.

I found a bunch of Hardinge 215 collets here and wondered what they were for. I'm trying to collect Hardinge 5C's for myself.
The larger Cushman collet chuck takes the 215 collets, which go up to 1-3/4 round order hole. The smaller chuck takes 115 collets, which go up to 1-1/8 round order hole. The 215 collets are a little less scarce than the 115.

Larry

The larger Cushman collet chuck takes the 215 collets, which go up to 1-3/4 round order hole. The smaller chuck takes 115 collets, which go up to 1-1/8 round order hole. The 215 collets are a little less scarce than the 115.

Larry

Thank you for the info. If I see one of those chucks I'll pick it up.

They are out there but rare just need some patience. I just picked up a Cushman 215 chuck with D1-6 mount and a set of Hardinge collets from 1/2 to 1-3/4 by 16ths. From what I understand both were only used by these collet chucks (no specific machine used them). Driving factor for me was the size range as I was looking for 2J collets for a chuck that came with my lathe. I eventually want to get 5C chuck setup at some point since I have most of those.

I know I've said this before, as I also know it's a case of horses for courses, but ;-

You can buy an awful lot of soft jaws for the price of a large collet chuck and collet set up.

Another issue with searching for uncommon collets at wallet friendly prices is wear.

Affordable will invariably be used. If uncommon and expensive well used. Hafta be seriously tightwad on the management side not to swop out a worn 5C or similar inexpensive collet when it gets to the point of risking a lunched job. At $600 for a 115 its not gonna be changed until its totally twatted "Just haul the closer up tighter lad.". Especially as such have pretty much only been seen in low rent shops for years.

The whole point of a collet is that it just works holding the job firmly and accurately on centre. If you are gonna futz about and with fingers and toes crossed that it will hold your second try at the job tight you might as well do what Limey says and make soft jaws. Like so many of these "Oh dear thats far too much trouble for me" its actually quick'n easy IF you can be arsed to sort the kit and set up so its a "just do it" job.,

Walked into the worn collet trap when I got a "full" set of Hardinge 5C by 64 ths at an attractive price hoping to replace and expand my OK set of by 32 nd affordable imports. Turns out all the common sizes and a fair few of the uncommon ones were past the sell by. Someone had ahigh old time sorting out the ruff stuff when closing down. So I've kept my imports in the active duty drawer. £££ wise I'd probably be in about the same place if I'd just bought the missing 1/64 ones new in OK import quality.

Clive

They are out there but rare just need some patience. I just picked up a Cushman 215 chuck with D1-6 mount and a set of Hardinge collets from 1/2 to 1-3/4 by 16ths. From what I understand both were only used by these collet chucks (no specific machine used them).

Yummy. I think I'll take these home and look for a chuck.

I have an almost complete set by 1/16 (the 5/8 is actually an emergency collet), plus a chuck that probably needs some cleanup. I just don't use them, so would let them go, but they do run higher than they're worth.

Back