What's new
What's new

115 piece drill index

Singtoe

Plastic
I have an index i got from fastenal (Normseman Magnum)but I am looking to buy a second one as a back up to the first. I know that quality is first option in choosing and then followed by price.

What do you guys use and where do you get them from.

You have made a good choice. The key as you have said is to buy top quality drills and there are good drills out there. Fastenal is a well known brand. It would be fairly simple to check reviews on different brands and check out German made drills. Drills from China can be something that you can be discerning about. I am sure there are good drills and they likely are more expensive than run of the mill quality. Specifically what I would buy I do not know right off. Germany in general makes really good stuff and that is where I would start checking.

I'm totally out of date concerning the latest greatest brands, but I have sets of Cleveland (old, before they got bought), Precision Twist Drill (again, old) and Guhring (newer) that are all excellent quality.

I prefer Guhring but I like Iscar and Hertel as well. I keep a set of carbide drills around for special purposes but certainly don't use them exclusively. Drills are one of those products that you really do get what you pay for.

you have made a good choice. The key as you have said is to buy top quality drills and there are good drills out there. Fastenal is a well known brand. It would be fairly simple to check reviews on different brands and check out german made drills. Drills from china can be something that you can be discerning about. I am sure there are good drills and they likely are more expensive than run of the mill quality. Specifically what i would buy i do not know right off. Germany in general makes really good stuff and that is where i would start checking.

Why are you yelling? :D

Speaking of Chinese drills I had a friend who would stay with me from time to time. He always had a project and he was a Harbor Freight homer if one ever existed. He would always ask what I paid for a specific hand tool or power tool (I always bought quality since I was 16) and the proudly show me what he paid for his from HF. I would always point out why his was a POS. Of course his retort was he could get a quick refund if what he bought was useless, so there was no risk only reward. He hated coming to me if he was stuck on something as he was a hack, with a hack set of tools. He knew he could touch nothing in my shop without permission and also knew there was a price to pay if he needed to borrow an upgrade to his HF junk.

Anyway he is struggling to drill out some soft rivets that hold a brake drum in place on an old Corvette. His drills out of his HF purchased drill index just walk. He finally asked for help knowing that I know how to drill holes. Low and behold the drill he was trying to use had a right hand twist but the cutting edge had a left handed grind. I looked in the index box and all of them were ground like left hand drills. This was over 20 years ago. My friend always thought if something was brand new it had to be good. It took years and years but I think he finally got the message that if it is cheap it can be garbage right out of the box.

I understand back-ups, but you need to buy an empty index. Every time you take a drill out of your good index use your phone to order 3 more from Mcmaster. When they arrive, put 1 in your second index, and the other two in a convenient drawer. Now, don't use the spare drill out of the index. Use it as a marker to tell you there are backups in the drawer. When you find there are no backups in the drawer order 3 more. Only after more spares are ordered can pull the drill out of the second index.

The chances are excellent the second index will be less than 1/3 full when your heirs sell it.

I understand back-ups, but you need to buy an empty index. Every time you take a drill out of your good index use your phone to order 3 more from Mcmaster. When they arrive, put 1 in your second index, and the other two in a convenient drawer. Now, don't use the spare drill out of the index. Use it as a marker to tell you there are backups in the drawer. When you find there are no backups in the drawer order 3 more. Only after more spares are ordered can pull the drill out of the second index.

The chances are excellent the second index will be less than 1/3 full when your heirs sell it.

if you have employees you need to buy hand fulls of every size. every month

If you have a full index of jobbers, I'd say replicate it in stubbys, not more jobbers.

I use way more SM length drills than jobbers.

Duplicate the stubbys on the common sizes- tap drills and fastener clearance holes.

Some import drills are hard all the way up the shank and so are easy to break... also hard on your chucks.

Another win for collets. I have never used a drill chuck on a VMC aside from using it as a fancy DRO to poke some holes (yes I'm aware no one mentioned cnc.)

I am a big fan of YG Gold P drills and have had good luck with the Viking black and gold cobalts.

Last edited:
Just buy another Norseman set. Patrick at Industrial Supply Center will get you the best price for anything Norseman.

Or get the original drawer units from huot, I love them. I use to restock my index’s at tools, in the trunk, or flyaway kits.

I like having room for a dozen of the smaller sizes. I don’t do this for letter drills, I only seem to use F and U and I have a dozen of each. But for number drills and fractional, it works great. And it’s a great way to keep taps sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back