What's new
What's new

12,000 RPM Bearing, shielded or sealed

Bill D

Diamond
Bearing is a R12ff 3/4 bore, 1+5/8 OD. Lightly loaded wood working shaper guide bearing. Will rubber seals hold up to that rpm? Lots of sawdust so I would prefer sealed. It will not run more then 20-30 minutes at a time. Most of the time it will be free spinning with no relative motion between the races. The existing one is an old shielded bearing. Dust got in and it is gritty sounding.
Bill D

Bearing is a R12ff 3/4 bore, 1+5/8 OD. Lightly loaded wood working shaper guide bearing. Will rubber seals hold up to that rpm?

That bearing number seems to come with stainless steel shields, but no rubber seal (which would likely catch fire at that speed). There are bearing makes that guarantee up to 19,000 rpm, so 12,000 rpm is achievable. I'd talk to someone at your local bearing supply house. On Amazon, it's hard to say what will in fact arrive.

I'd go shielded. Its funny, you'd think grinder bearings would all be sealed, but every quality bench grinder I've had used shielded bearings. Worked fine, and lasted.

I'd go shielded. Its funny, you'd think grinder bearings would all be sealed, but every quality bench grinder I've had used shielded bearings. Worked fine, and lasted.

Same here. I did try sealed bearings on an old Rockwell bench grinder I bought used and was repairing. Didn't work - the bearing quickly overheated, and the old long coast was gone. Moving the stone wheel by hand, the resistance was plain. Replaced with shielded bearings, which work just fine. Fortunately, the lesson wasn't all that expensive.

Last edited:
Shielded definitely with be the way to go. Be sure to identify the brand before you buy online. Best to deal directly with established bearing company. NTN, NACHI, etc

Back