What's new
What's new

12.5" Rohm 3 Jaw Chuck

Ja_cain

Cast Iron
Anyone have the skinny on these? Not sure if I have both sets of jaws. All I know is this thing is a beast and will make your #$$&@?* whistle when you try to move it. Lol! I see a jib crane in my future.PXL_20201120_204302922.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

IMO Rohm stuff is quality.

But (always one of them) it's a 3 jaw which tend to be horribly abused, make sure that one isn't, 'cos not even Rohm chucks will withstand 400lb mouthbreathingknuckledragger3ftcheaterbar abuse

IMO Rohm stuff is quality.

But (always one of them) it's a 3 jaw which tend to be horribly abused, make sure that one isn't, 'cos not even Rohm chucks will withstand 400lb mouthbreathingknuckledragger3ftcheaterbar abuse

Yup, would be good on a welding lathe.

I had a 12" 3 jaw P&B.....I used it once or twice then never again. Gave it to a friend. Too big to mess with, and if I was handling anything that large I use the 4 jaw anyway. But I could see it being useful, like a lot of things, in certain operations.

I had a 12" 3 jaw P&B.....I used it once or twice then never again. Gave it to a friend. Too big to mess with, and if I was handling anything that large I use the 4 jaw anyway. But I could see it being useful, like a lot of things, in certain operations.

I agree it's horses for courses, but back in the day, for production work a 12'' 3 jaw was a nice size on a 16'' TOS engine lathe or a Ward 7 Combination Turret lathe about 16'' swing, (the raised big bore Ward 7 -about 23'' swing, used a special P&B 16'' 3 jaw with a 5.5'' hole - now that was big - and bleedin eavy ;) )

That 3-jaw looks like it has a A-1 back to it for mounting to a turret lathe spindle. If it is and was used on a turret lathe, it is junk!!! by now. On the other hand, it doesn't look that bad from judging the book from the cover. Rhome was a nice European brand of chuck I would put up against most other chucks out there. I'm guessing very close to being close to a Bison chuck in comparison. IMO.

Back