RichD

Plastic
I'm looking about for one of these.
For folks owning/using the machines:
I have been wanting a 12" disc sander for years
and having just used one a bit, got
me on the hunt now.
I have almost all the makings for one.
12" disc, 1 HP 1725 RPM motor, tilt table, etc.
Looking at catalog pics shows me various basic designs.
What I need to know to make or chose a kick ass model:

-What RPM is best?
-What should the table height be relative to the disc center?
-Any other subtle niceties?

Thanks & all the best,
RichD, Atlanta

Have a look at this one for ideas if you want to build one.
StateSander-1.jpg

This one's not mine, but I've got a really sweet 1950's Delta 12" disc sander.

Ant--,
I've searched around the web and found a couple of the older USA made machines.
I see the tables were below center as your pic shows quite well. The new imports barely, if at all.

One thing I didn't think of:
Is having a reversible motor ever done?

It's sure useful on my 5" diamond cutter grinder.
Some parts just don't fit on the left and you play with danger doing it on the right.
I suppose all these machines run CCW normally?

I have two disc's both States. One is a 15" like the one pictured above. The other is a 20". I use them for woodworking. The picture above doesn't quite show the machine off to it fullest. The table actually goes up and down- both of mine have a rack and pinion gear to accomplish this- some of the older ones- perhaps like the one pictured simply had a lock knob and you would have to manually lift it. The tables also tilted by means of a handwheel and worm gear. They are absolutely beautiful machines and the best discs I have encountered.

Both of mine are set-up to reverse- very important when sanding into a corner. I also like to use the reverse as a brake- my 20" will spin for 25 minutes after it has been switched off.

Pete

I hauled a State and Master sander recently across several state lines for some friends. The Master sander is a beefy monster, but the State was still a very nice sander indeed.

Naturally, I had already purchased my Delta sander, but I ain't complaining. It's nice too.

I would think a reversible motor would be a nice enhancement.

I have a friend with a Jet disc, actually a pretty nice sander, he has had it for 10 plus years and has used it well for exacting prototype work in all kinds of materials.

I picked up a 12" disc-6x48" belt Dayton as distressed freight last year. Works well, but isn't reversible, so I need to keep both left and right hand discs around.

What I need to know to make or chose a kick ass model?
You'll want at least 3hp ... my Delta came with 1.5hp which was wimpy at best. I swapped the motor to a 3hp with VFD control, which allows soft start, reversing, and variable speeds. IMO, 3hp is not a bad size for a 12" disc, but 5hp would not be too much.

All commercial disc sanders feature some guarding around the periphery of the disc ... you'll want something there in case your hand gets too close to the rim. The inertia of the motor/sheave/disc is impressive - it will quickly remove your fingertips if you make a mistake.

On a sander, mass is your best friend. My Delta (and most commercial models) have a cast iron base ... I added 200# of leads weights to the base of mine to dampen any vibration. You should be able to set a nickel on edge, on the table, with the machine running - if you can't do this, you'll have trouble grinding to a fine layout line.

--------------
Barry Milton

9" disk sanders are popular in knife maker's shops. They are very handy for lots of tasks. Reversible is good, variable speed reversible is even better. They are generally not used for heavy material removal as that's usually done with a belt grinder like the KMGs featured on the website fen2art posted (Beaumont Metal Works). While the 15 and 20" monsters featured above are awesome for removing a lot of material and all the weight and inertia is a benefit. For a lot of what knife makers use the disk for, quick reverse and variable speed are more desirable and most importantly, standard abrasive paper is 9" wide so a 9" disk and a can of peel & stick spray adhesive gives the knife maker a wide variety of abrasives available cheaply as opposed to using much more expensive pre made disks. Just spray it, lay the abrasive sheet on, let it dry for a few minutes and trim with a razor blade. A lot of buys use the disk for flattening up the primary blade bevels and use the machine with no table or guards so there's nowhere to snag your fingers.

three phase motor on it is nice if you have the means to run it. they seem to run smoother, less vibration. I wish all of my machines were three phase.

the 12" delta's are o.k., even with a 1 or 1.5 hp motor. I've never bogged one down that I can remember, but I mostly am doing small parts on it. adjusting the tables on the deltas is a pain, and a great way to skin your knuckles. the little knobs that lock the table in place are in an awkward spot, and have to be really really tight in order to keep the table from moving. makes it hard to loosen them again. other than that they are a-o.k. in my book. a heavier base would be nice, but they just don't make stuff like that much anymore.

keep you work flat on the table if at all possible, and if not, be sure that the corner of the work is on the table and not in such a fashion that it can grab and smash your fingers. also, make sure there is some way to adjust the gap between the table and the disc. you wan't this tight to keep stuff from getting pulled in.

FWIW, The Enco 12" disc sander is garbage garbage garbage.

Thin Sheet metal base vs a proper casting, thin aluminum deck, fasteners that strip, the motor stalls easily, plus mine isn't balanced very well so the thing "walks" all over. Someday i'll have the trash can under it and it'll walk the plank to it's death.

I hate that machine.

-Wes

Back