What's new
What's new

12 x 18 Craftsman/atlas lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

needsbeermoney

Plastic
Hello everyone. My names Richard and if this doesn't go here them please forgive me. I have a lot of manufacturing experience but the bulk of it in software master cam and meta cuts mostly and cnc Mills and plasma cutter table. I never got the opportunity to learn manual machining. I was able to pick up a 12" Craftsman lathe with 18" from center to center on the bed to learn how to use it. It's in pretty good shape all around except for the Chuck. That thing is pretty much garbage unless I can get some one to grind it for me lol, using some aluminum shims I was able to dial in a rod to .002" . I've been looking into getting a 4 jaw 6" Chuck. Anyways on to my account questions.

So I chucked up a piece of stainless steel I had lying around and I wasn't getting consistent cuts. I dialed it in .015" and then measured it and it says it only took off .009". I put my dial indicator on the tool post holder and then went in .015" again and this time when the cutting tool contacted the material, I noticed the needle on the indicator moved back .005". Was that just too much for the cutter to handle (cemented cutter, I think from harbor freight, came with the lathe)? To much of a cut? Could a part of the carriage be actually bending or something? I'm thinking it was excessive backlash. Thought I would ask you guys.

Now I just know there's going to be a few people on here that are going to drop some mean and insulting comments because they just have nothing better to do with their time. So please remember, I am learning here, I came for knowledge that's all.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. My names Richard and if this doesn't go here them please forgive me. I have a lot of manufacturing experience but the bulk of it in software master cam and meta cuts mostly and cnc Mills and plasma cutter table. I never got the opportunity to learn manual machining. I was able to pick up a 12" Craftsman lathe with 18" from center to center on the bed to learn how to use it. It's in pretty good shape all around except for the Chuck. That thing is pretty much garbage unless I can get some one to grind it for me lol, using some aluminum shims I was able to dial in a rod to .002" . I've been looking into getting a 4 jaw 6" Chuck. Anyways on to my account questions.

So I chucked up a piece of stainless steel I had lying around and I wasn't getting consistent cuts. I dialed it in .015" and then measured it and it says it only took off .009". I put my dial indicator on the tool post holder and then went in .015" again and this time when the cutting tool contacted the material, I noticed the needle on the indicator moved back .005". Was that just too much for the cutter to handle (cemented cutter, I think from harbor freight, came with the lathe)? To much of a cut? Could a part of the carriage be actually bending or something? I'm thinking it was excessive backlash. Thought I would ask you guys.

Now I just know there's going to be a few people on here that are going to drop some mean and insulting comments because they just have nothing better to do with their time. So please remember, I am learning here, I came for knowledge that's all.

You are never going to anything like a consistent cut on that thing because it is a POS. Totally a flexi flier. Or as I refer to lathes in the "junk" class it is an LSO lathe shaped object. If you really want to learn do yourself a favor and get at least a South Bend. Oh by the way this this thread will soon be locked as these
machines have been banned for years.

Moonlight was right on both counts (forum rules, lathe rigidity).

The owner of this website wants to keep the discussion to professional shops, and discussion of Atlas lathes has been specifically prohibited. It's in the forum rules. Most anything from Harbor Freight (your cutter) is also on that list. You could always visit one of the home shop type sites or even put up your own and make any rules YOU want.

Secondly, stainless is tough stuff to cut. Super sharp tools can help, but your Atlas is a pretty flexible machine -- spindle, gibs, bed, all of it. As Moonlight said. So the cutter will move back if the going gets tough. Your best bet is super sharp tools and conservative speeds and feeds. And, eventually, a sturdier lathe.

A cemented carbide cutter from Harbor Freight is likely your biggest problem. Might try a high quality high speed cutter, ground properly and sharp, and you might get rid of half the deflection you're seeing. Your lathe probably can't make good use of carbide tooling, but a high positive rake insert, in a tough grade of carbide, with a very small nose radius would be better than what you've been using.

My first lathe, about 50 years ago, was a 10" Atlas and it was perfect for what I knew and wanted in those early years. You can make stuff, have some fun, learn on it, then maybe get something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back