What's new
What's new

15-5ph H1025

oompa

Aluminum
Hello,

Recently purchased a heat treating manual but it has not arrived yet....

We need to bring a 2" diameter piece of 15-5 to condition H1025

I read some where this is as simple as holding it at 1025 F for 4 hours. I would appreciate a more complete HT recipe or a url link.

Thank you in advance!

Is the material you purchased in cond. A (aka solution treated)? 15-5 machines well even aged. It doesn't oxidize much but does move a bit (shrink). You can age it in air.

Carpenter always has lots of info so I normally start there.
CarTech(R) 15Cr-5Ni Stainless

"Heat Treatment - H 925, H 1025, H 1075, H 1100, H 1150
(Precipitation or Age Hardened): Heat solution-treated material at specified temperature ±15ºF (±8ºC) for 4 hours and air cool."

Condition A is annealked by solution treatment which is usaully the way 15-5 is supplied.
If OP has PH, he might already have H1150. You need to know what you have! Think that you can just heat to 1900F and oil quench, but it's be a long time for me. Then it's the "age" at 1025F.
JR

Yes, 1025 degrees for a minimum of 4 hours at temperature, meaning 4 hours after the center of the bar has reached temp. Tensile strength should be at least 155ksi. This is per MIL-H-6875.

Yes in this case condition A is solution treated. You just have to heat to 1025°F for 4 hours and air cool. There is a full AMS spec if you want to get it from SAE. AMS-2759-E.

Make sure you allow for shrinkage in rough machining so everything cleans up after heat treat.

Condition A is annealed and require heat treat BEFORE aging. 1900F at 15 min per inch of cross section. Oil quench and then age at 1025 for 4 hours. H1025 is machinable, pretty hard, but can be machined.
JR

Condition A is annealed and require heat treat BEFORE aging. 1900F at 15 min per inch of cross section. Oil quench and then age at 1025 for 4 hours. H1025 is machinable, pretty hard, but can be machined.
JR
No, in the case of 15-5ph condition A is solution treated and ready to age. That is unless the customer requires. There is another condition that is the easiest to machine, H1150M that would require a solution treat before ageing.

All I know is that all the 15-5 we got in conditin A needed to be heat treated as I mentioned above. After it's been oil quenched, it's very, very hard. We didn't do a lot of 15-5 probably just a couple of tons per year.
JR

Back