What's new
What's new

15 ton D & K 4' press brake

It can bend absolutely nothing without an assortment of tooling.

What kind of back gauge? How many axis?

Is it Osha compliant?

It is a very useful size if it is well outfitted. A basic manual backgauge no frills bare machine is worth $500-$1500 depending on condition and location. A well tooled one with a late model multi axis CNC backgauge could easily be worth $20k.

Look up a press brake tonnage chart. Figure you can develop full tonnage on no less than 50% of the bed length unless otherwise stated.

It can bend absolutely nothing without an assortment of tooling. Thanks, now I suppose you will tell me I need some end mills to use my Bridgeport!

What kind of back gauge? How many axis? Mechanical, one axis.

Is it Osha compliant? Not likely.

It is a very useful size if it is well outfitted. A basic manual backgauge no frills bare machine is worth $500-$1500 depending on condition and location. A well tooled one with a late model multi axis CNC backgauge could easily be worth $20k.
Basic machine with a few dies, nothing special. A friend texted me a photo and asked if I was interested. Yes and no. Was looking for a bit bigger one. It's 500 miles away and I don't much care to drive the full length of the Pa. Turnpike in the winter. With a 3/4" lower die and a standard V upper die will it bend .060 mild steel 4' long?

A 3/4 die would be standard for 13 gauge (.090), and it should be able to air bend a 3' length. A 1/2" die would be recommended for 16 gauge and would require 3.6 tons per foot, so no problem bending a 4' length. The 3/4 die will bend 16 gauge fine, the radius will just be a little larger than would normally be expected.

When they passed the bond to build the Sam Houston Tollway in the early 1990's, it was voted on with the stipulation that the tolls would cease once the road had been paid for. That was projected to be something like 2002. Around 2005, there was a big ruckus when someone questioned why 2002 had come and gone, and tolls were still being charged. After a fast but extensive review, the government determined two things: 1) they could not afford to eliminate the tolls. The revenue was too vital. 2) They had been undercharging for some years, and immediately raised the tolls by 20%.

When they passed the bond to build the Sam Houston Tollway in the early 1990's, it was voted on with the stipulation that the tolls would cease once the road had been paid for. That was projected to be something like 2002. Around 2005, there was a big ruckus when someone questioned why 2002 had come and gone, and tolls were still being charged. After a fast but extensive review, the government determined two things: 1) they could not afford to eliminate the tolls. The revenue was too vital. 2) They had been undercharging for some years, and immediately raised the tolls by 20%.

Anytime there is a tax or tax increase on the ballot I always vote no, enough of them pass anyway.

Tolls isn't that enough to just piss you off. What do they do with the money? They damn sure don't use it to repair that freeking paved moto X track they call a road!

Our goobnor has them paying into the general fund.
The state is "Flush with money" they say, yet we have the highest road taxes in the nation.

Please don't get me wrong, the machine might be a good fit, and a good deal.

Just pointing out the added hit to the total cost, by the tolls.
It could add 10% to the cost depending on the price.

Basic machine with a few dies, nothing special. A friend texted me a photo and asked if I was interested. Yes and no. Was looking for a bit bigger one. It's 500 miles away and I don't much care to drive the full length of the Pa. Turnpike in the winter. With a 3/4" lower die and a standard V upper die will it bend .060 mild steel 4' long?

The backgauge has a significant effect on usefulness. If it lacks one, it's broken or it's worn out then I wouldn't own it. If it's CNC then that makes a huge difference in usefulness/value.

Every 4' of 15 ton that I ever saw from them was a mechanical brake. If they do have a hydraulic it must be a newer import with their name on it. Generally speaking, a 48" of 15 ton would be a 14ga machine.

Every 4' of 15 ton that I ever saw from them was a mechanical brake. If they do have a hydraulic it must be a newer import with their name on it. Generally speaking, a 48" of 15 ton would be a 14ga machine.

Yes it is a mechanical brake, he wants 600.00 for it. Any thing in particular I should check out? He says it works fine although he thinks the brake needs adjusted. Is this any big deal?

Yes it is a mechanical brake, he wants 600.00 for it. Any thing in particular I should check out? He says it works fine although he thinks the brake needs adjusted. Is this any big deal?

This changes things a bit eh ?
$600 is a very good price if it's in good shape.

A bean counter would see the $600 price, add the $300 in highways tolls, and say "50% of the cost of this machine is in highway tolls, bad deal".

But to you (and me) the $300 in tolls is just something to keep in the back of our minds,
just like a buyers premium at an auction.

The adjustment isn't too much trouble. You sure need to keep your wits about you with a mechanical one, a moment of HIB (head in butt) and the lower die is a 2 piece one with one of the pieces somewhere other than where you last saw it.

Not saying their bad, just go easy and slow.

Back