What's new
What's new

1957 2CK Kearney &Trecker knee rebuild questions

n.hessler1

Plastic
Greetings, So I'm up to my elbows in the tear down and repair of a K&T horizontal mill. The previous life is unknown except for that it came from a gear and spline shop with NO maintenance "program" and the "oil" is some kind of goo-sludge that is stuck to absolutely everything. So far no broken parts just very worn or failed bearings which is why I'm this far into it. I have already been through the right side with the table feed motor w/ associated shafts/ bearings, rapid feed clutch, and hydraulic pump/valve body and controls, so I'm making headway. Had the universal table off cleaned the coolant return passageways which were completely jammed with gunk, milled the multiple tool marks off the back of the table etc, and its cleaning up nicely. So now to my problem and questions, I've got the knee mostly disassembled except for the rear controls and whatever is behind there and the bottom back gears in the main section. See pictures.Kearney teardown 006.jpg Not sure if those loaded.
My questions are surrounding what is hanging on to the rear control as it flops all around but cannot pull it out. And what is the secret? anybody? to this back gear shaft not wanting to budge at all. there is a keeper washer that is set into the adjacent gear just by a little to keep it from falling out and I, for the life of me can't move anything to get it out. Any suggestion outside of a cutting torch?Kearney teardown 004.jpg
Kearney teardown 003.jpg

No experience with that mill, but just down the forum's main page there's a sub-forum titled "USA Heavy Iron". In there you'll find tons of info to search through.

I've had the knee apart on a '56 vintage 2CH and still have one apart on a lend lease 2Hl. There was an alignment sequence for the feed selectors that had to be followed, going in or out. I am guessing they are similar. My best guess is gears hanging up. I might have photo's.

Back