What's new
What's new

1972 Rockwell 17-600 Variable Speed Drill Press belt help

Thom1960

Plastic
Finally getting around to reassembling my drill press after 2 years apart. Can't find the belt that it had on it so ordered what I thought was the correct one. Delta Rockwell Part # 49-159. Belt # 1930V541. Sure seems short. Or maybe I'm not sure how to go about getting it on. My kid did most of the disassembly so I know I didn't pay enough attention. Was supposed to be OUR project but now it's MY project. Anyway, not sure if I'm supposed to spread open the pulleys to fit the belt close to the shaft or what. There is no way it will fit flush to the outside edges. At least 6" short. Any help would be appreciated. Can't find any literature on installing VS belt for this machine.

We will probably need a picture. If it's just a standard V belt then buy that instead.

That sounds like the belt for a Reeves Drive. The belts are widely available.

I have a Delta DP350, which has a Reeves Drive. Don't know the details of the Rockwell 17-600 Variable Speed Drill Press that is the question, so don't know if the VS belt is the same.

They're not supposed to fit outside-to-outside. One sheave collapses while the other expands, keeping the required length constant. If its like my Millrite you have an adjustment cam of some type on the front (spindle end) and the motor end is spring-loaded. On my setup dropping the cam out opens the front sheave allowing the motor side to close down (get bigger), thus increasing rpm.

Short answer: yes, you do need to get one side 'open' to get the belt on and you might even have to slip the pulley off the shaft while loading the belt.

It is a reeves drive. I did get the belt on. Spread the front pulley then worked the belt around the motor drive pulley. Still need to wire up the VFD to get power to it but that's pretty easy. Then I can work on adjusting everything to dial in the speed.

Finally getting around to reassembling my drill press after 2 years apart. Can't find the belt that it had on it so ordered what I thought was the correct one. Delta Rockwell Part # 49-159. Belt # 1930V541. Sure seems short. Or maybe I'm not sure how to go about getting it on. My kid did most of the disassembly so I know I didn't pay enough attention. Was supposed to be OUR project but now it's MY project. Anyway, not sure if I'm supposed to spread open the pulleys to fit the belt close to the shaft or what. There is no way it will fit flush to the outside edges. At least 6" short. Any help would be appreciated. Can't find any literature on installing VS belt for this machine.

I have three of these in various states of repair:
Rockwell manufacturing company 17-600 variable speed drill press with 3phase-3/4hp delta Rockwell motors. Would love to talk to someone familiar with this machine.

Back