What's new
What's new

1985 Vertical Mill..Please Help Identify

andiecat

Plastic
Hello All,

I just joined this forum and am looking forward to some expert information.
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1985 Mill from a company that I worked for that closed that site.
All I have so far is pictures and information that it was built in 1985. Anybody have any ideas on what it isMill1.jpgMill2.jpg

In 1985, a copy of a Bridgeport was most likely made in Taiwan. Concord was just one of many names that were stuck on the machines to satisfy the USA dealers/importers. I understand that there were several Taiwan factories making them, but there were more brand names than there were factories.

Larry

That makes sense as I can locate nothing for a Concord Mill online. I don't know anything about it at all, other than it works great, or it did when it was put away 4 months ago when the plant was closed and has no power feed or read outs. It was shipped from GA to NY and all the guys that used it in GA move on to other jobs. I can't see it until next week, but what do you guys think? I can buy it for $400 bucks.

Don't know what it would cost you to move it, but it is hard to imagine that you could lose money on the deal.

I will mention that that Heinrich vise is for a drill press, not for milling, but it is still a valuable vise.

Larry

Haha.. I actually am a woodturner and need to drill into hardwood end grain, 5"deep 4" diameter. Blued multiple bits, even carbide on a nice new Jet drill press at 100rpm. Took a piece of oak over to a friend with an old Bridgeport, put a 4" forstner in a collet and it drilled like it was butter. Started looking for a used mill and but in my price range they were in bad shape. Then this one came up. I have to figure out how to convert from the 3 Phase to 220, but I think it will work out. Utube and this forum are my new best friends.

Thank you for the info on the vise. I will need to get a chuck to hold it on the mill. The company already shipped it from GA to NY and their warehouse is 2 miles from my house. Getting it into my garage will basically free with the help of some friends who have the equipment to move it. They each have asked for my famous homemade chocolate cookies...for life!

Note that it weighs around 2000 pounds and is top heavy. Be careful moving it. The search function on this site does not work very good. So google "practical machinist" moving a bridgeport.
Bill D

Look online for the army training manual for milling machines for a good basic introduction. Do not grease any grease nipples before asking here if they are for oil or grease.

I moved mine with a U-haul truck. Just block the aluminum ramp in the middle to keep it from buckling when your slide it down.

For $400 don't pass it up! There are some super cheap ways to power that with single phase that work fine. That mill looks fine, just hope the hand cranks come with it.

They tell me everything is there. They also have a big box with all kinds of tools in it used by the machinists on the mil, bits, etc.

Back