What's new
What's new

1990 Cincinnati Mill, worth it?

steamandsteel

Aluminum
Hello,

Ran across this 1990 Cincinnati Horizontal Mill that a friend is looking to get rid of.

I don't exactly need a horizontal mill (nor have space for it) but is this something that is worth anything? Would have to drive 4 hours to pick it up. I do not know the weight exactly but guess around the 3000lb range

I'm partial to it because I have a similar Cincinnati with a Gorton ram/head mounted on top. It is a robust machine, and nice with dedicated internal power feeds. I would be tempted to do the same with this unit.

Picture of the mill for sale:

IMG_1842.jpg

Picture of my mill:
IMG_1843.jpg

Looks like the best of both worlds. What are they asking for it? How much do you think to convert it? I like redundancy in my shop, several ways to get things done, in case one is busy, or goes down.

Doubt it's a 1990 machine, but if it was in my home town and I had space I'd definately go for a look.

l7

Cincinnati Milling Machines are as good as it gets if we're talking standard machines. Just going off 1 photo that looks a nice one. My only reservation is have you got work specifically for a horizontal machine ? I think they're more limited and not as versatile as a vertical machine.

Regards Tyrone.

Looks like the best of both worlds. What are they asking for it? How much do you think to convert it? I like redundancy in my shop, several ways to get things done, in case one is busy, or goes down.

Let's just say it's very reasonable. Like it may go to scrap otherwise.

Thanks for the input lucky and Tyrone..

I don't have the need for a horizontal mill, but IF I find a ram to put on it, then it would be useful to me. Otherwise do these have any resale value?

Eastern NY, so anyone on the east coast looking for one?

Wow, you're a better driver than me if you can do SD to NY in four hours!

Joking aside, if it's scrap price, grab it imo. Even horizontals have some value locally.

L7

Wow, you're a better driver than me if you can do SD to NY in four hours!

Joking aside, if it's scrap price, grab it imo. Even horizontals have some value locally.

L7

My Map App estimated about 17hrs drive from Sioux Falls to Rochester.
I was curious about the 4 hour estimate too.
I hoped that maybe there was a small town in Jersey called SD, or the owner was willing to drive part-way.

I'd guess more like 1950

Say serial and we'll date it

Serial usually at bottom of large metal tag with lube instructions
If not for the blue plastic lever tips it looks even older than 1950 with the narrow knee and general appearance.

If not for the blue plastic lever tips it looks even older than 1950 with the narrow knee and general appearance.

Yeah the handles caught my eye also. When did they start fitting those ? I'd have said in the 1950's if not a bit later. I still think it looks a decent machine if it's going for just more than scrap price. Cincy's were built to last.

Regards Tyrone.

Hmm interesting on the age.. It is basically scrap price. I'd hate to see it go to scrap but I don't really have garage/shop space (yet) for another large Cincinnati.. Build a shed? Tarp it up? Thoughts?

It's hard to say. I assume you have the financial resources or you wouldn't be asking. I am truly not trying to be a smart ass or anything but if you want it, or think it will compliment your shop, then it's worth it.

Mine is almost identical. Really like it. But mine has vertical head . Knowing what i know now of machine i would be willing to make it work if i needed another

Back