What's new
What's new

1st grade math question

I learned it as the revolutions of the driving gear / driven gear. So to me it is .941:1

The example that comes to mind is the rear-end ratio on a motor vehicle, 4.11:1 etc.

I have trouble remembering which way things go too, so usually resort to some sort of logical cross check to clarify. In this case, I see that a larger gear is driving a smaller on, meaning that it will be speeding up the output. So having two possible numbers to choose from, I'd take the larger one, 1.0625.

I'm going to side with Gordon on this one. Don't forget that the colon in any ratio represents the word "to" so we can correlate an input to an output.

So, .941 rotations in to 1 rotation out makes the most sense to me.

the work that needs to be done is usually represented by the "1", from there you calculate how much work you need to do at the input side to get the result of "1" at the output, in this case - 16/17 of the 1, or 0.941:1

I learned it as the revolutions of the driving gear / driven gear. So to me it is .941:1

The example that comes to mind is the rear-end ratio on a motor vehicle, 4.11:1 etc.

I disagree, it is driven over driver. In your example, a rear end has a large ring gear (driven), and a small pinion (driver). So say you have 4.11's, 37 teeth on the ring divided by 9 teeth on the pinion.

I'd call the OP's a .941:1, or for clarification, call it a .941:1 overdrive gear set.

English isn't quite precise enough to depend on people all getting the same answer. I would always say which gear turns faster.

Likewise with ratios in general. I always say something like ""the xx, computed as aa divided by bb".

I disagree, it is driven over driver. In your example, a rear end has a large ring gear (driven), and a small pinion (driver). So say you have 4.11's, 37 teeth on the ring divided by 9 teeth on the pinion.

I'd call the OP's a .941:1, or for clarification, call it a .941:1 overdrive gear set.

Aren't we saying the same thing? Like I said (post #2) in the OP's case, .941 revolutions for 1 rev in the driven gear. In my example, 4.11 revolutions for 1 in the driven gear. The only difference between what you said and what I said is that you referenced an overdrive set while I did not. The results are the same.

Aren't we saying the same thing? Like I said (post #2) in the OP's case, .941 revolutions for 1 rev in the driven gear. In my example, 4.11 revolutions for 1 in the driven gear. The only difference between what you said and what I said is that you referenced an overdrive set while I did not. The results are the same.

In your original post you have driving/driven. I said its driven/driving, and used a ring and pinion to illustrate your rear axle ratio example.

In any case, its easy to get words so similar confused.

You are quite correct. I meant to infer that the driving number was listed first, not infer a mathematical operation. I should have written it so: driving:driven.

Back