What's new
What's new

2" Face Mill Feeds & Speeds.

AndreK

Plastic
I am just entering the fascinating world of machining, for me as a hobby, and have questions regarding feeds and speeds for face milling of 6061 T6 Aluminium plate.

My mill is a workbench mill with 500W DC motor (LMS 4190 HighTorque MiniMill). I would be using a 2" Face Mill on R8 3/4" holder, with 5 ZCC APKT 1604 33 LH YBG101 carbide inserts made for Aluminium.
To calculate my feeds and speeds should I assume:
600 SFPM
0.003 IPT

I noticed that during the milling sometimes a chip would get pressed back into the surface of the stock, or make an ugly scratch. Now, that happened when I tried to use some cheap inserts which had some gold color coating. Probably totally unsuitable for Aluminium. With better inserts, I am hoping this won't happen. Comments?

I am just entering the fascinating world of machining, for me as a hobby, and have questions regarding feeds and speeds for face milling of 6061 T6 Aluminium plate.

My mill is a workbench mill with 500W DC motor (LMS 4190 HighTorque MiniMill). I would be using a 2" Face Mill on R8 3/4" holder, with 5 ZCC APKT 1604 33 LH YBG101 carbide inserts made for Aluminium.
To calculate my feeds and speeds should I assume:
600 SFPM
0.003 IPT

I noticed that during the milling sometimes a chip would get pressed back into the surface of the stock, or make an ugly scratch. Now, that happened when I tried to use some cheap inserts which had some gold color coating. Probably totally unsuitable for Aluminium. With better inserts, I am hoping this won't happen. Comments?

Is this your machine ?
HiTorque Mini Mill for Sale | Mini Milling Machine for Sale

in before the lock download FSwizard (i think) gives you speeds and feeds and HP needs. then cry that you are working with tools that even my Birdport that is almost called hobby gear here blow out of the water
note i have a HF mini mill that makes a dam good knife maker drill press any milling i go to the BP

The problem is your mills spaghetti noodle frame got wet and soggy, your gonna have to put it in the oven at 350° for 30mins, let cool and top liberally with Parmesan cheese

The problem is your mills spaghetti noodle frame got wet and soggy, your gonna have to put it in the oven at 350° for 30mins, let cool and top liberally with Parmesan cheese

Nah...the problem is it's a piece of shit that is called a mill. 500 watt motor, .67 hp, really gonna be hogging the material with that.

Geez, pretty sure the poor guy has had enough of a beating by now. Yes he has a toy milling machine. But the question was really about tooling and material, cut the poor fella some slack.

O.P. try using some WD-40 or similar as cutting fluid. I think you will find that it will eliminate those scratches caused by the cutter dragging chips across the finish. It likely has nothing to do with your inserts. In future, read the sticky posts. Discussing hobby level import (and domestic) machinery here is frowned upon, to put it lightly...

Geez, pretty sure the poor guy has had enough of a beating by now. Yes he has a toy milling machine. But the question was really about tooling and material, cut the poor fella some slack.

O.P. try using some WD-40 or similar as cutting fluid. I think you will find that it will eliminate those scratches caused by the cutter dragging chips across the finish. It likely has nothing to do with your inserts. In future, read the sticky posts. Discussing hobby level import (and domestic) machinery here is frowned upon, to put it lightly...

True but when the problem is his Rigidity in general and we’re all chasing our tails trying to figure out why his inserts aint cutting right it Becomes a good old goat rope and that’s takes our time and effort away from others here that have real problems on real Machines.

There is only so much time in a day, we can’t possibly help every single person especially over a machine that’s against the rules for good reason

No, please stop adding to a banned subject.

True but when the problem is his Rigidity in general and we’re all chasing our tails trying to figure out why his inserts aint cutting right it Becomes a good old goat rope and that’s takes our time and effort away from others here that have real problems on real Machines.

There is only so much time in a day, we can’t possibly help every single person especially over a machine that’s against the rules for good reason

The presented problem is not rigidity related. Chatter would be, scratches are not. And Doug, the subject problem here is actually tooling - or more accurately, process - related, not machine related. According to "the rules," he would have been fine asking the same question had he not mentioned the machine type.

The presented problem is not rigidity related. Chatter would be, scratches are not. And Doug, the subject problem here is actually tooling - or more accurately, process - related, not machine related. According to "the rules," he would have been fine asking the same question had he not mentioned the machine type.

I gave you some reasoning behind enforcing the rules. You can message milacron with your complaints

Aside from the slam the guy for not owning a 15,000 pound milling machine is depth of cut and corners on the milling tool.
Where is this line, anything under 15000 is sort of a mini machine in mill or lathe don't we think. This toys and kiddies stuff.
Real machine tools for the big men weigh at least 20,000 pounds and that the weenie end.
Bob
(hope the intent gets through.)_

Aside from the slam the guy for not owning a 15,000 pound milling machine is depth of cut and corners on the milling tool.
Where is this line, anything under 15000 is sort of a mini machine in mill or lathe don't we think. This toys and kiddies stuff.
Real machine tools for the big men weigh at least 20,000 pounds and that the weenie end.
Bob
(hope the intent gets through.)_

I paid 400$ for my index, 2500Lbs. it’ll spin that toy to pieces and could turn parts for profit if needed, that toy can not, maybe some trinkets to sell at the local farmers market.

Apples to oranges.

You don’t have to invest a fortune to get a proper machine.

The line in the sand was drawn a long long time ago. Don’t shoot the messenger.

this ain’t toys-r-us.

Kids Toys waste our time, overcrowd and affect this forum in a negative way.
This ain’t the first guy to NOT read the rules and post a toy, it won’t be the last.

How much respect do you have if you can’t simply read the rules? I did, didn’t take long

If they can’t be bothered to read the rules I can’t be bothered to answer their inquiries.

Respect is a 2 way street and we have gentlemen here paying mortgages on more then just a house, little Johnny wants to ask some questions about his toy that’s fine, plenty of places dedicated to answering those questions but it ain’t here.

The antique section is another story, plenty of men still running ww2 era machines making a profit and paying bills.

Those who forget the past are bound to repeat it.

Waiting for the thread to be closed but who knows I’m no Psychic

If you guys want the rules changed, you know where to find the creator.

I have one more pet peeve.

Yes he would of flew under the radar omitting his machine but time would come he was asked, at this point is where it gets important.

Knowing the machine aids in us tracing down issues, not knowing the machine he’s using someone may suggest for example, changing to a different face mill or insert that requires a little more Power to run, that suggestion may work in a proper machine but due to his tiny mill and lack of HP the suggestion would end up complicating things.

Now we have compounded the problem.

We all end up chasing our tails wondering what is going on.

That’s why it’s IMPORTANT to list what machine your using so we can see the WHOLE picture.

Powers off at your house, you look at your Neighbors to see if his power is on.

How do we know the powers out in the Neighborhood if we don’t look outside?

We don’t, so In confusion we check the breakers, we check the outlets/switches, we check it all when all along, it’s the whole block in darkness.

Back