Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Home Brew, the machine is an utterly insignificant variable for the presented problem. He asked a question about chips scratching his aluminum workpiece. That happens in a 100 ton machine just the same as a ½ ton machine. I know, I've had the problem - and solved it - many times. And I've had it on machines as big as your house... Your analogy does not fit this situation even remotely. I will say it again, the machine is irrelevant in this case. You can argue that point all you want, but I'm done with this pointless segue from the issue at hand.

I agree that little toy machines can cause a lot of problems, and don't like discussing them either. This... Is not that. If the machine was chattering like crazy, then yes, the chastisement might be more fitting. Horsepower (and rigidity) required for driving a 2" cutter for a finish cut in aluminum is negligible.

I am still surprised that Doug didn't give him a link for HSM. And for the record: I have been doing about the least complaining in this whole thread.

2. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Op Attributed the chip issue to the cheap inserts with gold coating he was using and asked if better inserts would prevent this.

I smell a bigger (or smaller) issue here.

A complete novice describes what he doesn’t understand as a “scratch” could easily be chatter.

But the point is moot. Takes 2 to tango, just giving my opinion you don’t have to respond, I never said you was or did anything wrong, only pointed out what I believed was reasonable justification for the rules which prohibit his machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewblob View Post
    Op Attributed the chip issue to the cheap inserts with gold coating he was using and asked if better inserts would prevent this.
    This is a legitimate concern. Cheap insert-shaped objects as sold on Alibaba/Banggood and the like cause aluminum chip welding leading to scratches and gouges.

Highly polished inserts made for Al by a reputable manufacturer would mitigate this. Other concerns are tram- one elementary issue at a time.

5. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Raise your hand if you think a 124 pound mini mill can handle a 2" face mill.

People say a Bridgeport can't handle more than a 2", which is bullshit, and that machine weighs around 20 times as much.

7. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    Raise your hand if you think a 124 pound mini mill can handle a 2" face mill.

People say a Bridgeport can't handle more than a 2", which is bullshit, and that machine weighs around 20 times as much.
    bUt ThE pRoBlEm iS nOt hIs MaChInE they keep telling me

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Meh maybe it's us not them, maybe we aren't looking at the big picture...maybe this thread isn't about the machine it's about the cutter and the finish it produced.

If the op never mentioned the machine in the op...10:1 within 2 posts someone would ask what machine. Aaaaaaaand we'd be right here posting the same things, sans the "it's not about the machine" crowd.

And for posterity, I did suggest wd40 in the original reply

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Meh maybe it's us not them, maybe we aren't looking at the big picture...maybe this thread isn't about the machine it's about the cutter and the finish it produced.

If the op never mentioned the machine in the op...10:1 within 2 posts someone would ask what machine. Aaaaaaaand we'd be right here posting the same things, sans the "it's not about the machine" crowd.

And for posterity, I did suggest wd40 in the original reply
    You want to change the rules? Go ahead I’m waiting

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

this whole thing is going to make me check the Dia. of my fly cutter that i square micarta with on my mini mill (cause i hate gettign the BP that dirty) the mini ways are run dry and the BP is always covered in oil. truth told i have done some stupid out of spec milling with the mini cause i had no other option. i go back to making sure speeds and feeds are in check. on my fly cutter i ground th nose of the tool with a large radi. for a passable finish on composites but those are knife maker specs not shop job blueprints.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewblob View Post
    You want to change the rules? Go ahead I’m waiting
    We fear change...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes the machine should be able to do fine with positive rake inserts on a finish cut. People talking about Bridgeports and a max of 2" cutters are talking about roughing cuts. Hell I have seen people use a 6" diameter cutter on aluminum in a Bridgeport for finishing​ with no issues.

Obviously the machine is utterly unsuited for roughing cuts with anything much more than a ½" endmill... Nobody is arguing that point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

did skimming with 3" facemill on my 3-in-1 w/o problem.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wether or not his machine can or can’t is NOT the issue.

In this case you guys may very well be correct in suggesting a proper tool for the job.

The issue is the inconsistency and quality of these garbage machines and the issue THAT may present.

Banned for a reason.

You guys wanna change the rules message big cheese.

You guys have problems with ppl like me telling these guys off?

Then change the rules.

Hate the game not the player boys.

Now please stop wasting time and effort on a guy who ain’t coming back with his banned China garbage.

And stop trying to shoe horn these guys into the forum, they are BANNED plain and simple.

Leave your emotions at the door please

16. Likes digger doug, CAMasochism liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

10 characters.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forget about using WD-40. Get a gallon of Kool Mist and mix it with water. Then get a Kool Mist mister that uses compressed air to spray your work.
    You won't see any rust due to the Kool Mist solution for a long time, if any was to form at all. You have plenty of time to wipe everything down.

Kool Mist PORTaMIST Unit #60M12 - 85-500-006 - Penn Tool Co., Inc

When I face mill there is always one direction on a full pass that looks better than the opposite due to a tiny bit of head alignment.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    Forget about using WD-40. Get a gallon of Kool Mist and mix it with water. Then get a Kool Mist mister that uses compressed air to spray your work.
    You won't see any rust due to the Kool Mist solution for a long time, if any was to form at all. You have plenty of time to wipe everything down.

When I face mill there is always one direction on a full pass that looks better than the opposite due to a tiny bit of head alignment.
    Naw...you want chainsaw bar oil....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post

Is there any steel on mini mill? Serious question.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is there any steel on mini mill? Serious question.
    No, extruded aluminum American pop cans.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, I just got my machine recently and I am happy with it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, sorry for my meek attempt to get some advise. Unfortunately, except for your mention of WD-40, all I got back was a lot of worthless hostility ("how dare you ask us, the Gods at the Olympus, such a question. And your machine is not even a machine..."). But, I admit, it was funny to read all the replies. So, it's time for me to go and leave you all to yourselves.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndreK View Post
    Well, sorry for my meek attempt to get some advise. Unfortunately, except for your mention of WD-40, all I got back was a lot of worthless hostility ("how dare you ask us, the Gods at the Olympus, such a question. And your machine is not even a machine..."). But, I admit, it was funny to read all the replies. So, it's time for me to go and leave you all to yourselves.
    No need to leave, just try "playing by the rules".