What's new
What's new

2 mystery collet types

Indyglyder

Plastic
Hi, I just acquired a 9" x 4' south bend lathe and it came with a bunch of tooling, not sure if im keeping or selling yet. I have two sets of collets for the headstock spindle and I'm trying to figure out what kind of collets they are.
the first picture shows the collets that attach to the back of the hand wheel that goes through the spindle with threads.
most of these say hardinge or south bend brand. these have a keyway only in the top tappered section, not the main shaft.
the second set mount inside the collet chuck, most of these are made by Grand and are german made.
do I need both types? or is one for a different use.

Attachments

• collet 1.jpg
    collet 1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 120
  • collet 2.jpg
    collet 2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 114
  • chuck for collet 2.jpg
    chuck for collet 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 103
If your SB lathe is a 9" model, then the first set of collets you show are probably 3Cs. And you will probably need a collet adapter that screws onto the quill to use them. The bore in the quill is for MT3s. But the 3C collets with the adaptor are commonly used with the SB-9.

I do not know what the second set of collets are.

The first set looks a lot like R8 collets, as for a Bridgeport-style milling machine.
The second set look like collets for a tapping head. I’m guessing that’s what the part from both New Jersey and West Germany is.

Jeremy

Nice head scratchers here. The first set doesn't look like 3C, least ways not what I found for 3C dwg's. The keyway is in the wrong spot and the thread for 3C is nearly body diameter. The keyway in the taper looks kinda like Hardinge 5V but these look too small to be 5V by about 3/4" too short.

The second set looks like a smaller size of a collet set used on a Barber Coleman gear hob I ran a couple times, haven't the foggiest what it was though.

Hi, I just acquired a 9" x 4' south bend lathe and it came with a bunch of tooling, not sure if im keeping or selling yet. I have two sets of collets for the headstock spindle and I'm trying to figure out what kind of collets they are.
the first picture shows the collets that attach to the back of the hand wheel that goes through the spindle with threads.
most of these say hardinge or south bend brand. these have a keyway only in the top tappered section, not the main shaft.
the second set mount inside the collet chuck, most of these are made by Grand and are german made.
do I need both types? or is one for a different use.

The first group of collets are South Bend 6K. The ones that have the Hardinge name will also be marked 6K. The South Bend collets may be marked 6 or 6K. The key slot in the cone is very distinctive, only used by SB on this 6K collet style.
LOT OF 4 6K South Bend Buck Collets 6 K | eBay

The German no. 210 lever-action chuck takes Brown & Sharpe no. 21 collets. The 21 collets are fairly common and a lever action collet chuck is more convenient to use than the 6K type. Note that the chuck body needs a strap to tie it to the headstock so that it will not rotate. See 1989 Quad Machinery catalog listing. Grand, Quad and Tool Importers Inc. (TII) seem to be three names for one NJ tool dealer. I used to buy a lot of good stuff from them.

Larry

DSC02706 (2).jpg

Thank you all, Larry I think you hit the nail on the head. I have an old import mill/ drill. Can either of these collets be used in a mill with the right holder. Sorry if this is dumb question, I am new to this.

Back