Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 2 mystery collet types

Hi, I just acquired a 9" x 4' south bend lathe and it came with a bunch of tooling, not sure if im keeping or selling yet. I have two sets of collets for the headstock spindle and I'm trying to figure out what kind of collets they are.
    the first picture shows the collets that attach to the back of the hand wheel that goes through the spindle with threads.
    most of these say hardinge or south bend brand. these have a keyway only in the top tappered section, not the main shaft.
    the second set mount inside the collet chuck, most of these are made by Grand and are german made.
    do I need both types? or is one for a different use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails collet-1.jpg   collet-2.jpg   chuck-collet-2.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If your SB lathe is a 9" model, then the first set of collets you show are probably 3Cs. And you will probably need a collet adapter that screws onto the quill to use them. The bore in the quill is for MT3s. But the 3C collets with the adaptor are commonly used with the SB-9.

I do not know what the second set of collets are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The first set looks a lot like R8 collets, as for a Bridgeport-style milling machine.
    The second set look like collets for a tapping head. I’m guessing that’s what the part from both New Jersey and West Germany is.

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 2nd set of collets look like a dead-length style of collet.
    I had some back in the day that were Hardinge B60 style, they looked identical,just larger.

ShopHardinge - 37250717075000

5. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice head scratchers here. The first set doesn't look like 3C, least ways not what I found for 3C dwg's. The keyway is in the wrong spot and the thread for 3C is nearly body diameter. The keyway in the taper looks kinda like Hardinge 5V but these look too small to be 5V by about 3/4" too short.

The second set looks like a smaller size of a collet set used on a Barber Coleman gear hob I ran a couple times, haven't the foggiest what it was though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Indyglyder View Post
    Hi, I just acquired a 9" x 4' south bend lathe and it came with a bunch of tooling, not sure if im keeping or selling yet. I have two sets of collets for the headstock spindle and I'm trying to figure out what kind of collets they are.
    the first picture shows the collets that attach to the back of the hand wheel that goes through the spindle with threads.
    most of these say hardinge or south bend brand. these have a keyway only in the top tappered section, not the main shaft.
    the second set mount inside the collet chuck, most of these are made by Grand and are german made.
    do I need both types? or is one for a different use.
    The first group of collets are South Bend 6K. The ones that have the Hardinge name will also be marked 6K. The South Bend collets may be marked 6 or 6K. The key slot in the cone is very distinctive, only used by SB on this 6K collet style.
    LOT OF 4 6K South Bend Buck Collets 6 K | eBay

The German no. 210 lever-action chuck takes Brown & Sharpe no. 21 collets. The 21 collets are fairly common and a lever action collet chuck is more convenient to use than the 6K type. Note that the chuck body needs a strap to tie it to the headstock so that it will not rotate. See 1989 Quad Machinery catalog listing. Grand, Quad and Tool Importers Inc. (TII) seem to be three names for one NJ tool dealer. I used to buy a lot of good stuff from them.

Larry

dsc02706-2-.jpg

8. Likes neanderthal mach, sfriedberg liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all, Larry I think you hit the nail on the head. I have an old import mill/ drill. Can either of these collets be used in a mill with the right holder. Sorry if this is dumb question, I am new to this.