What's new
What's new

20 ton press punch questions

Rjays32

Plastic
Hey guys new to the site and looking at getting a punch for putting holes in some Chassis brackets I make and not sure what I need to look for. I'm looking at a 20 ton mechanical punch press to see if it will work I'm needing to put 1/2 holes in 3/8 steel plate would be the biggest and thickest I need to work with. Will a 20 ton do what I need? Thanks for any help

Hey guys new to the site and looking at getting a punch for putting holes in some Chassis brackets I make and not sure what I need to look for. I'm looking at a 20 ton mechanical punch press to see if it will work I'm needing to put 1/2 holes in 3/8 steel plate would be the biggest and thickest I need to work with. Will a 20 ton do what I need? Thanks for any help

0.5inches x 3.14 x .375 inches x 44,000 pounds per square inch = 23,550 pounds.
Should be OK.
Change the 44,000 psi to the shear strength of your steel.

Dennis has it listed. I carry the equation LTS/2000 in my head for general punching.

L = length of perimeter in inches
T = thickness in inches
S = strength of material, used to be 36,000 psi for "typical steels" but now 50ksi is a better number.

The divide by 2000 just gets you from lbs into tons.

Give good respect to mechanical presses, they work but they are a bit scary!

Dennis has it listed. I carry the equation LTS/2000 in my head for general punching.

L = length of perimeter in inches
T = thickness in inches
S = strength of material, used to be 36,000 psi for "typical steels" but now 50ksi is a better number.

The divide by 2000 just gets you from lbs into tons.

Give good respect to mechanical presses, they work but they are a bit scary!

Thanks guys this is all new to me just want to make sure I get the right tool and Don't get hurt using it. Thanks again

Back