What's new
What's new

20mm tap driver 4MT Unobtanium?

Mike C.

Diamond
Had a 16 hole bolt circle to drill and tap on the radial drill this week. Apparently nobody on this planet makes a Morse Taper 4 tap driver for a 20x2.5 tap?

Perhaps you could use a 4MT tanged shank ER collet chuck. There is such a thing as ER tap collets with internal squares, but I guess you have to watch the square size to match your tap.

Metric taps are made to several different standards, so the shank diameter and square size for a given thread size can vary. In the USA, ANSI shanks are common, but ISO, DIN and JIS shanks will be different.

Standard Tap Dimensions (ANSI Shanks) - Tapmatic Corporation ANSI taps let metric taps fit common USA size collets.

Standard Tap Dimensions (DIN 374) - Tapmatic Corporation

Thread standards and tapping hole tolerances

Larry

Big Kaiser drill tapper QC system comes in MT 4, but the catalog doesn’t seem to have metric tap holders, but I’d bet they make them. It’s a rubber clutch type quick change holder, and they are a bit expensive new. Comes in different sizes.

Thanks, JS! Nailed it. I can sleeve it to 4MT. Hand tapping 16 holes was a real party yesterday... and of course it's a rush job.

Perhaps you could use a 4MT tanged shank ER collet chuck. There is such a thing as ER tap collets with internal squares, but I guess you have to watch the square size to match your tap.

Metric taps are made to several different standards, so the shank diameter and square size for a given thread size can vary. In the USA, ANSI shanks are common, but ISO, DIN and JIS shanks will be different.

Standard Tap Dimensions (ANSI Shanks) - Tapmatic Corporation ANSI taps let metric taps fit common USA size collets.

Standard Tap Dimensions (DIN 374) - Tapmatic Corporation

Thread standards and tapping hole tolerances

Larry

dont forget din 357.

Nope, a 20mm tap has a 15mm shank. It will not go in a 3/4" driver. I have most every tap driver over 1/2" and nothing fit the 20mm. A 19mm tap fits a 3/4 and a 22mm fits a 7/8".

Nope, a 20mm tap has a 15mm shank. It will not go in a 3/4" driver. I have most every tap driver over 1/2" and nothing fit the 20mm. A 19mm tap fits a 3/4 and a 22mm fits a 7/8".

I've learned quite a bit from this thread myself.

If you look at the table in post 3# from Larry, it's all right there, an ANSI 20MM tap has the same shank and flats as an ANSI 13/16 tap (NOT a 3/4), .652 shank, .489 across the flats, nominal.

ANSI metric taps are the most common type generally available in the US (as GarW said). all you need to do is order a 13/16 ANSI holder if your tap is .486-.489 across the flats ANSI, however going by your post 10, if its 15MM, I don't know what that is, so you probably need to get an ANSI tap as well, easy enough.

It's a bit of a mess as far as metric tap standards go with ANSI, ISO, DIN 374, DIN 358 whatever, and JIS. I didn't get as far into the weeds as comparing the latter 4, does anyone have a handy reference table for that?

I guess no one is reading Larry's post, or my #12, :D

I was talking about just the Collis stuff on the list I linked to.

I looked at my stuff and this is what I have:

13/16 / M20 on compound and 3/4 in tailstock. And they are different.

171552378.png

I've learned quite a bit from this thread myself.

If you look at the table in post 3# from Larry, it's all right there, an ANSI 20MM tap has the same shank and flats as an ANSI 13/16 tap (NOT a 3/4), .652 shank, .489 across the flats, nominal.

ANSI metric taps are the most common type generally available in the US (as GarW said). all you need to do is order a 13/16 ANSI holder if your tap is .486-.489 across the flats ANSI, however going by your post 10, if its 15MM, I don't know what that is, so you probably need to get an ANSI tap as well, easy enough.

It's a bit of a mess as far as metric tap standards go with ANSI, ISO, DIN 374, DIN 358 whatever, and JIS. I didn't get as far into the weeds as comparing the latter 4, does anyone have a handy reference table for that?

the regular machne taps are either 371 for m3-m10 or 376 for m3-m30 (thin shank). hand taps are 352. 357 is obsolete (i use them for a set of tapping holders, hard to get). the other ones i dont even know what they are.

Back