What's new
What's new

$22.51 S&H for a 1 Lb. item from Walter Hammond

Bob E

Hot Rolled
Well...actually it drop shipped from supplier in NH(Mitee-Bite) to PA.
First time order, for me, from Walter Hammond, did so because I found what I needed via Google and they popped up as the quickest to get from. UPS ground for 1 lb. Got the invoice today and shipping/handling was $22.51. Will call tomorrow to see if there was a mistake....but am I wrong in thinking this is excessive?

That's a lot of handling. :eek:

I'm guessing they don't get a lot of repeat business.

The sad reality is that most brick and mortar vendors use UPS by default, since it's not their money, or a more common reason given; UPS picks up packages. USPS is often 1/3 the cost of UPS and with excellent service.
Before UPS folded under pressure of the union they were a good delivery service, well, all else being equal the cheapest supplier of any service is the best one.
We all know that most packages fly on the same airplanes, but some cost 3 times USPS and some cost 2.8 times USPS. Plus, there may be a way around that package pick up problem I hear.

We ship via USPS, just as most diamond dealers do.

What value was it insured for? I find insurance is sometimes 50-75% of the UPS bill or more especially with small expensive items. Add in Residential zone charges (in error or actual) and distance from local hubs and it could be that much.

Well...actually it drop shipped from supplier in NH(Mitee-Bite) to PA.
First time order, for me, from Walter Hammond, did so because I found what I needed via Google and they popped up as the quickest to get from. UPS ground for 1 lb. Got the invoice today and shipping/handling was $22.51. Will call tomorrow to see if there was a mistake....but am I wrong in thinking this is excessive?

Check the delivery time.

That's about the rate for 1-3 day on an envelope.

I just got nailed by a $17.00 UPS ground charge for a less than 1# 8½ x 11 padded envelope going from So. Cal to Oakland!!! Kinda feel like someone broke it off in me!
I asked for USPS and the answer was Nope. Last time I buy from them and they will never know why.

They ALL will pick up packages. That includes USPS. And they all will pick up from anywhere, even private homes. Absolutely no difference there. For businesses that ship a goodly amount, USPS will deliver in the morning and pick up in the afternoon, around quitting time. That's actually better than UPS, FedEx, etc. who only deliver in the morning if you pay extra for it. Otherwise, even businesses wait until the afternoon pick-up time for deliveries.

Businesses with a lot of shipping can get better rates from UPS, FedEx, etc. But do they pass on the savings to their customers? Who knows? I don't think that USPS discounts for them, but I could be wrong. I always use and ask for USPS.

$22.50. Drop shipped from their supplier: that could account for an extra handling charge with two companies involved. Quickest delivery. And UPS. Doesn't really sound all that expensive to me.

I have had a few like that. Bourn & Koch charged me $36 for the spindle nut for my Micromaster. Then hit me for $28 dollars for the slowest cheapest shipping they had. I thought it was a special nut so bought it.

When they followed up by asking $110 dollars for the drive o-rings they went in the ex vendor list.

They said the cheapest they can HANDLE and ship was like $25. I guess anything under that and it wasn't worth the parts guys time to go pick it off the shelf.

I see they sell new and refurbished machines. I would hate to be at the mercy of that pricing scheme if I had a machine I needed fast repairs on.

I have gotten free shipping from Hong Kong and had it here in a week. No reason to pay robbery prices.

Here's my UPS story from a couple months ago. I had to send the mag from our race car to Des Moines for a quick rebuild. Des Moines is about 260 miles south of me. Regular ground UPS would get it there the next day for $12.75, but no guarantee of what time the next day, just whenever the driver normally gets there on his route. UPS told me if I wanted to make sure it was there in the morning, I should send it next day red label or next day blue label. Blue label would get there by 10:00am and cost just under $100. Red label would get there before 8:00am and cost almost $200. The funny part is no matter which of those 3 options I chose, the package would still go out at the same time in the morning, on the same truck, just a matter of when the driver delivered it.

i ship (ups) things local, about 60 miles away, and it may cost over 20bucks to ship. same item may go to california for 15 or so. plus someone has to pay for the box, tape, packing

Here's my UPS story from a couple months ago. I had to send the mag from our race car to Des Moines for a quick rebuild. Des Moines is about 260 miles south of me. Regular ground UPS would get it there the next day for $12.75, but no guarantee of what time the next day, just whenever the driver normally gets there on his route. UPS told me if I wanted to make sure it was there in the morning, I should send it next day red label or next day blue label. Blue label would get there by 10:00am and cost just under $100. Red label would get there before 8:00am and cost almost $200. The funny part is no matter which of those 3 options I chose, the package would still go out at the same time in the morning, on the same truck, just a matter of when the driver delivered it.

Blue label = rides on dashboard
Red Label = rides on driver's lap.
$12.75 = get's tossed in the back.

and for $8.00 they will just strap it on the roof of the truck.....

Ridiculous
UPS has been teamsters since it’s founding

Find another way to blame working people for corporate decisions

The only thing that changed at ups in recent memory is they went public

The vendor screwed you

A one pound package ground cannot be more than maybe 10 bucks

More than postal but not what you got charged

The sad reality is that most brick and mortar vendors use UPS by default, since it's not their money, or a more common reason given; UPS picks up packages. USPS is often 1/3 the cost of UPS and with excellent service.
Before UPS folded under pressure of the union they were a good delivery service, well, all else being equal the cheapest supplier of any service is the best one.
We all know that most packages fly on the same airplanes, but some cost 3 times USPS and some cost 2.8 times USPS. Plus, there may be a way around that package pick up problem I hear.

We ship via USPS, just as most diamond dealers do.

yeah,all the teamsters fault
I remember that strike very well. It was the downfall of UPS. No one cared for the company - it was the drivers we all liked and who did a good job because it was a good place to work. All of us who sent and got packages were rooting for the drivers. The strike came along when the bean counters decided to make more cash for themselves by screwing the people who did the work.

It was never the same after the strike. Shit treatment of the drivers meant shit work and shit service and shit company. Once again, management triumphs.

It was never the same after the strike. Shit treatment of the drivers meant shit work and shit service and shit company. Once again, management triumphs.

IME tere's a really easy and guaranteed way to kill off unions completely.

Pay the workers more than the union is getting for them, offer them decent benefits as part of the package and show them that you value them.

And don't pay the CEO's 10000X as much as the most junior employee.

PDW

Back