What's new
What's new

240 motor troubleshoot problems, overheating motor

sapwood

Aluminum
could you pls help me.. ive bought a steam cleaner at auction with a warnin sticker stating "Tripping breaker when plugged in" lso ive noticed on the 240v single phase motor that its got so hot at some point it metled the capacitor somewhat..
So I strippedout the motor to do some troubleshooting and this is what I found. ive got two black wires and two white. which I would gues are my two pairs of windin wires. To my knowledge I should be getting continuity between each pair, continuity on black pair of wires and vice versa on the white wires. WRONG! I get continuity on the black pair and not on the white pair, but strangely I et continuity on one black wire and one white wire. Unless im understanding this winding setup wrong my guess is the white wire pair winding has broken and hs shorted to the black pair winding???? Am I right in thinking I should only have two pairs of continuity windings here.
my two black wires are indicated as V1 and W2 and the white wires are U1 and V2.
resistance readings I got between all combinations of these are listed in OHMS below.
w2-v2= 6.9
v1-w2= 3.4
u1-v2= 30.2
v1-u1= 27.9
v1-v2= 5.0
u1-w2= 29.9
pics show pins prior to removing all wires so I could test windings with meter.
WP_20171206_007.jpg
WP_20171206_006 (1).jpg
WP_20171206_005.jpg
WP_20171206_006 (1).jpg
WP_20171206_004.jpg

its possible you have a start winding of 30 ohms, but i doubt it. that would only be the case if the motor has a very lightweight start winding wound from.. aluminum.

anyhow if the motor is aluminum wound, you may have one or more failed crimps.. where they crimp say, 3, aluminum wires to the copper, pvc insulated leads.

anyhow 5, 6 ohms per coil is too high for a 2 hp motor. that would be 3 ohms, line current of say 20 amps at 120 vac, I^2R 1200 watts lost in the coils.

Back