What's new
What's new

3/16" Character Steel Stamp Set – Letters & Figures

Ratz

Aluminum
Hi everyone,
Bought a cheap stamp set and do not want to repeat the mistake.

Can anybody suggest good brand? No need for low stress stamps.

3/16" Character Steel Stamp Set – Letters & Figures is what I am after.

Saw this one at MSC C.H. Hanson - 36 Piece, 3/16" Character Steel Stamp Set – Letters & Figures, Heavy Duty $158

Anything better out there?

Thanks.

I have bought several sets from Mcmasters. Never been disappointed. Every set I've bought is made in USA.

3/16 letters and number sets are $83

You did not say why the cheap set was not satisfactory. I have several sets; letters, numbers, 1/8", 3/16", etc. and the one thing that I found to be the same across all of them is that the characters are not centered alike. If I use the body of the stamp to align the characters, they are not aligned. This is both up/down and left/right. I find that very bothersome. I have mostly US made sets, but one or two are imports. None of my sets are in the $100+ range. I didn't know that they had such expensive ones.

Mine were purchased over decades and from places like Sears, McMaster, and Enco (I think).

Other than that alignment problem, they all seem to be OK. When I wanted to do some nice work with them I measured the offsets of each letter/number and used shims to get the alignment right. I made up a set of 1/4" wide shims in a binary sequence: 0.001", 0.002", 0.004", 0.008", etc. That way I can combine them to get any value I want. Aluminum foil is about 0.0007" thick so two thicknesses gives me 0.0015" for the odd ones.

Perhaps the laser cut ones are better in this respect.

As Sami says " Pryor " had the market sewn up in the UK and they make a great product. However if you're expecting all the stamps to " pitch " equally you're going to be disappointed. They aren't all centred the same.

Accurate hand stamping is quite a skill. I can give you one tip that served me well. If you're right handed work backwards. IE from right to left. That way the hand holding the stamp doesn't obscure the work you've already done.

Regards Tyrone.

You did not say why the cheap set was not satisfactory. I have several sets; letters, numbers, 1/8", 3/16", etc. and the one thing that I found to be the same across all of them is that the characters are not centered alike. If I use the body of the stamp to align the characters, they are not aligned. This is both up/down and left/right. I find that very bothersome. I have mostly US made sets, but one or two are imports. None of my sets are in the $100+ range. I didn't know that they had such expensive ones.

Mine were purchased over decades and from places like Sears, McMaster, and Enco (I think).

Other than that alignment problem, they all seem to be OK. When I wanted to do some nice work with them I measured the offsets of each letter/number and used shims to get the alignment right. I made up a set of 1/4" wide shims in a binary sequence: 0.001", 0.002", 0.004", 0.008", etc. That way I can combine them to get any value I want. Aluminum foil is about 0.0007" thick so two thicknesses gives me 0.0015" for the odd ones.

Wow! You are probably overthinking this... If you have a need or want for your lettering/marking to be better you should machine engrave them IMO.

Make a spring loaded jig to hold the stamps in a repeatable and square position, then lightly grind the sides of the stamp shank to bring them closer to a common alignment. I have done this for dial stamping and got good results. With a good jig you can strike the stamp a number of times if necessary to get the impressions exactly the same. A Letter W for example needs a harder hit than a letter I and the same thing for numbers. I use Pryor stamps as Sami described. The number outlines are excellent - nice clean forms. They are also square to the stamp shanks, but not quite centred to the shank body. Of course with letter stamps you might want to get really picky and consider kerning - which would be a total can of worms in my opinion. I did have an example dial that I have shown on this forum in the distant past but that went away with the Photobucket disaster so I would have to sort out a replacement image if anybody is interested.

Pryor makes a set (106 pieces) with letters, numbers, symbols, and blank spaces, which can be placed in a holder that aligns all characters and stamps all at one blow. Pricey but works great. Shop several places to get the best price.

Pryor makes a set (106 pieces) with letters, numbers, symbols, and blank spaces, which can be placed in a holder that aligns all characters and stamps all at one blow. Pricey but works great. Shop several places to get the best price.

I had that set but it vanished when they had builders in the shop one weekend. Obviously you can only use so many pieces at a time.

Regards Tyrone.

This might not be what you want...
I have this set in 3mm
Im real proud of them.... How about $200 shipped
If you are interested I can take pictures ..

That's more or less just like the " Pryor " set I had. I can't complain too much about them going missing. I found them when I was moving a Hor Bore from the " Bryan Donkin " factory that was closing down in the Midlands. I was looking in one of the skips ( dumpster in the US ) one day for some timber to put under some of the components when I saw a little wooden box. When I opened it there were all the little steel type and the holder etc.

Easy come, easy go I suppose.

Regards Tyrone.

I have several sets of Pryor steel type (1.5, 3 and 5 mm size) and they are the answer to getting good results without resorting to getting a custom stamp made. I had the same issues with getting irregular results with individual letter stamps, even when using an elaborate jig with a lathe slide rest to control spacing.

Here are a couple of items I made and signed with the Pryor 1.5 mm (1/16") type.

Larry

DSC02016.jpg

I have several new sets of "Pinnacle" brand 5 mm (3/16") steel type. They are absolutely identical to my Pryor sets except for not having the Pryor markings and there is no "England" printed on the box label. The quality of finish is superb and each type letter is precision ground to fit the holder, just like the Pryor product. I will sell them for $175 per set including USA shipping. Canada shipping extra.

The Pryor steel type is all made with the same blank height, so one holder works for the 1.5, 3 and 5 mm letters. They do make two widths of holder and the Pinnacle set has the wider holder to take up to eight 5 mm letters. The other holder will hold up to six 5 mm letters. Of course, the 1.5 and 3 mm type is narrower, so the holders can take many more of the smaller letters.

Larry

DSC02017.jpg DSC02018.jpg DSC02019.jpg DSC02020.jpg DSC02021.jpg

I have several sets of Pryor steel type (1.5, 3 and 5 mm size) and they are the answer to getting good results without resorting to getting a custom stamp made. I had the same issues with getting irregular results with individual letter stamps, even when using an elaborate jig with a lathe slide rest to control spacing.

Here are a couple of items I made and signed with the Pryor 1.5 mm (1/16") type.

Larry

View attachment 262815

That's nice work Larry.

Regards Tyrone.

Some years ago I thought it would be cool to have sets in different sizes, so I started haunting eBay. I found that by restricting my search to "Hoggson" brand, I was assured of really good quality stamps. Took a while but I eventually found everything I wanted, and the prices were favorable. . .

The metal was way too soft and raised part just flattened.

Larry

View attachment 262815

Thanks for your post. Impressive

This might not be what you want...
I have this set in 3mm
Im real proud of them.... How about $200 shipped
If you are interested I can take pictures ..

I would like to see a picture. Where are they manufactured and what you think is a % of wear on the worst one? Thanks

You can PM me if posting sale items photos and info is frowned upon.

Back