What's new
What's new

3/4" Schedule 10 Pipe Source?

Ben_A

Aluminum
Does anyone have a source to purchase 3/4" Schedule 10 pipe? I can find it in stainless, but I am having difficulty finding it in carbon steel.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm looking to purchase a stick or two.

The application is components on an older piece of equipment and I'm trying to keep everything as OEM like as possible.

Thank you in advance!

Other schedules will be the same OD - so who will notice ;)

FWIW Due to more modern materials and methods the ''old'' very light wall steel tubes have all but faded away.

The stock lists I'm finding usually do not list any Schedule 10 pipe.

The vendors that do carry Schedule 10 pipe start at 1" and go up. I even tried the fire suppression industry but they start listing Schedule 10 pipe available in 1" and up as well.

Our local suppliers have all been unsuccessful in locating any 3/4" Schedule 10 pipe.

Can you even thread a schedule 10 pipe? Is there enough wall thickness so that you don't end up with a slinky on the end?

OBVIOUSLY, the schedule 10 pipe failed and should be upgraded to schedule 40.. you know, because you can actually buy that.

So what does this do? Is it the ID or the OD you need to retain "original".

Gun drills and tailstocks can make pipe any size you want.

This is the tubing portion of a weldment that gets a threaded insert welded in on one end and a "T" shaped insert welded in on the other. It is not used to contain or transmit fluid under any pressure and is open to atmospheric pressure. To the best of my knowledge, it did not fail.

Obviously something happened or it wouldn't be missing. When I purchased the piece of equipment this weldment goes on, one side was missing and I'm trying to replicate the missing side. I *assume* the missing side was scavenged to keep another piece of equipment going after it was involved in an unknown incident and damage to this weldment was collateral damage (as well as other components in the same area which I'm replacing as well).

Weight is an issue and there is the potential to create more friction due to the increased weight of the weldment.

I 'need' (2) pieces of 3/4" Schedule 10 pipe, cut to 24" long. I 'want' several sticks of material given how hard it is to locate.

My last resort would would be to simply drill/bore some Schedule 40 pipe, but I would rather have the same material as the OEM component if I can locate some.

Would you please explain the situation where weight is critical, but the designers chose to use plain 3/4 schedule 10 pipe? I get the weight difference to be about 4 ounces per foot.

Ben:

You might try Alro Steel in Tulsa. They have it listed in their catalog. Ask if they can bring it in from another branch if they don't have any in Tulsa. Note the product they list is A-500 Structural Pipe not A-53 pressure Pipe. I don't believe A-500 is pressure rated. ID,OD and wall thickness are the same as A-53.

Regards,

DB

Would you please explain the situation where weight is critical, but the designers chose to use plain 3/4 schedule 10 pipe? I get the weight difference to be about 4 ounces per foot.

I can not explain why the designer/engineer made this decision well over 40 years ago. My guess would be some sweet spot of weight and cost, with cost being the larger factor.

Ben:

You might try Alro Steel in Tulsa. They have it listed in their catalog. Ask if they can bring it in from another branch if they don't have any in Tulsa. Note the product they list is A-500 Structural Pipe not A-53 pressure Pipe. I don't believe A-500 is pressure rated. ID,OD and wall thickness are the same as A-53.

Regards,

DB

Alro was my first RFQ. The response from Alro was, “It is in our catalog as informational, but we don’t stock it, sorry.”

It looks like I’m going to go with 1-1/16” O.D. x 0.083 Wall (0.897” I.D.) A513-T5 DOM Tube as it is the closest thing available. The weight differential is nothing.

Thank you to everyone who helped, I appreciate it!

Back