What's new
What's new

300M or Alloy 9310 for power transmission

SShep71

Hot Rolled
I have to make some splines shafts for severe power transmission, I was wondering if there are any opinions of 9310 material being used for this. I have lots of lengths of it on my shelf, and for what the cost of 300M is I figured I would look at alternatives.

I have to make some splines shafts for severe power transmission, I was wondering if there are any opinions of 9310 material being used for this. I have lots of lengths of it on my shelf, and for what the cost of 300M is I figured I would look at alternatives.

Ask AlfaGT, I think he makes drive shafts for race cars, might have an opinion

300M is a thru hardening alloy, whereas 9310 is a carburizing alloy. If you need a hard (60+Rc) surface with a tough core then 9310. Depends on the application. Compare the specs for tensile strength versus elongation of the two and see what fits best. If you have the 9310 already and the numbers come out close for properties then use the 9310 all other factors being equal.

That's cuz life's easy on 'em now. When it was 900 hp out of a four-cylinder, the input shafts were Vascomax.

At least on the cars that went 500 miles ....

And the gears for the LG-600 were 9310 forgings. Ground :D

How about when they turned up the boost on the Offy and got 1150 or so out of them?
In 1996 we were getting 985 HP at 16,500 RPM. Rebuilds at about 650-700 miles at that power level. 300M was the input shaft material.

How about when they turned up the boost on the Offy and got 1150 or so out of them?
In 1996 we were getting 985 HP at 16,500 RPM. Rebuilds at about 650-700 miles at that power level. 300M was the input shaft material.
Sure, but half the cylinders at half the rpm but same horsepower see much bigger peak forces. Life is easier on the input chafts now than it was in 1972. That's why we made them out of Vascomax 350 and sold them to the best-run teams - George Bignotti had a clue. Flower power :D

Sure, but half the cylinders at half the rpm but same horsepower see much bigger peak forces. Life is easier on the input chafts now than it was in 1972. That's why we made them out of Vascomax 350 and sold them to the best-run teams - George Bignotti had a clue. Flower power :D

Probably not, You had a boat load of torque at 8,000 RPM in a 4 cylinder but with much less downforce half the tire you were not hooking it up anyway.

9310 is an excellent gear steel, but is really not suited to making shaft type parts. Go with the proven 300M.

Moonlight, you have lived an interesting life.

Here is a tribute to Mr. Herd (a standout in engineering and physics at Oxford U.) :

Remembering March co-founder Robin Herd - 1939-2019

I loved working with Robin but what I enjoyed more was just shooting the bull with him. The guy was brilliant but so down to earth, one of the smartest persons I have ever known but still easy to talk to.

A lot depends on size, speed, shock , but of course you know this . I built drivelines for national caliber tractor pullers 4500 ft lbs if torque at 2000 rpms. 4340 1.750 27 spine heat treat 38-42 nothing special never had one break. Years ago made some replacements for stock jd transmissions, 1.25 19 spline same material those would show about a 1 spline twist once we hit 2500 ft lbs at 2500 rpm. You can make it out of exotic stuff but do you need it?

Back